Merry Go Round of Life for 30b anglo?

cbuja

Found this video of a guy playing a tune from the Howls Moving Castle soundtrack. I see that hes playing on a 46button. I was wondering if there is any sheet or tabs floating around for the 30button anglo?

• Like 1

Evening @cbuja,

I watched this movie years ago. Shame I missed this tune, it's lovely. From the video's description, he is playing on a Hayden Duet, which would explain the lovely harmony he's getting. Looking at other available sheet music and chords online, the song seems to be in the key of Bb/Gm, which can be quite tricky to play on a (I'm assuming) C/G Anglo with accompanying harmony. Would you be willing the sacrifice the original key for playability?

Martin

Edited by TehRazorBack

2 hours ago, TehRazorBack said:

Evening @cbuja,

I watched this movie years ago. Shame I missed this tune, it's lovely. From the video's description, he is playing on a Hayden Duet, which would explain the lovely harmony he's getting. Looking at other available sheet music and chords online, the song seems to be in the key of Bb/Gm, which can be quite tricky to play on a (I'm assuming) C/G Anglo with accompanying harmony. Would you be willing the sacrifice the original key for playability?

Martin

Yes I wouldn't mind making that sacrifice, as long as it doesn't butcher it too much lol thx for the reply

Had a very quick stab at one of the sections of it, have attached a pdf with Gary Coover tablature. Let me know what you think.

It's really quite difficult to get working, even in the key of C. So many seventh chords! And so many off chord notes, like wanting an E on melody while you want a Dm on harmony; one really wants push while the other really wants pull.

I think I'm a bit out of my depth helping on this one. It's gonna be a real challenge getting it sounding right on a C/G Anglo.

Martin

Merry-Go-Round_of_Life.pdf

16 hours ago, cbuja said:

Found this video of a guy playing a tune from the Howls Moving Castle soundtrack. I see that hes playing on a 46button. I was wondering if there is any sheet or tabs floating around for the 30button anglo?

There is this video by Toru Kato of him playing the song on a 40 button anglo, which still has greater harmonic capacity than a 30 button but is more closely related to what you're looking to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pCKoIKQCI8

• Like 1

@charleschar I've seen many of that guys arrangements, and they're always stellar. His Secret of Monkey Island rendition is one of my favourites! Other than the general "oom pah pah" rhythm, I'm no good at thinking up all the kinds of flourishes and playing styles this guy has.

Looks like he keeps it in the original key. Looking at his left hand, he does reach for those extra notes at a few places; quite a lot during the intro, again at 0:25, 0:29, etc. Not taking into account his right hand, obviously. That's not to say you can't improvise those notes, but his rendition is an amazing starting point to learn from. 

Edited by TehRazorBack

9 hours ago, TehRazorBack said:

Had a very quick stab at one of the sections of it, have attached a pdf with Gary Coover tablature. Let me know what you think.

It's really quite difficult to get working, even in the key of C. So many seventh chords! And so many off chord notes, like wanting an E on melody while you want a Dm on harmony; one really wants push while the other really wants pull.

I think I'm a bit out of my depth helping on this one. It's gonna be a real challenge getting it sounding right on a C/G Anglo.

Martin

Merry-Go-Round_of_Life.pdf 33.85 kB · 1 download

thank you so much! 

Me too,  play this tune with 30b C/G anglo but I cannot share the sheetmusic, as it is well under copyright protection. 

I  suggest you buy an easy piano arrangement and play it on your concertina. 

Totani

7 hours ago, gtotani said:

Me too,  play this tune with 30b C/G anglo but I cannot share the sheetmusic, as it is well under copyright protection. 

I  suggest you buy an easy piano arrangement and play it on your concertina. 

Totani

You're absolutely right about copyright protection, but I have never had any trouble uploading music to Musescore. As long as you link the music to its owner, so that if they want to remove it they can with the press of a button, I've never had any issues.

Here's a version of the song on Musescore that's been up for 5 years: https://musescore.com/user/16006641/scores/4197961

I'm not saying you're wrong, cause I know you're very much correct. However it seems that some songs either slip by copyrights, or the copyright owners don't care. Or Musescore is hidden pirate island for sheet music, yarr!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TehRazorBack said:

You're absolutely right about copyright protection, but I have never had any trouble uploading music to Musescore. As long as you link the music to its owner, so that if they want to remove it they can with the press of a button, I've never had any issues.

Here's a version of the song on Musescore that's been up for 5 years: https://musescore.com/user/16006641/scores/4197961

I'm not saying you're wrong, cause I know you're very much correct. However it seems that some songs either slip by copyrights, or the copyright owners don't care. Or Musescore is hidden pirate island for sheet music, yarr!

Thank you TehRarozBack for your comment and bringing up this issue.

Obviously, the copyright holder (Studio Ghibli in this case) cannot be bothered hunting innumerous copyright violations and I would assume it often leaves things as they are, which does not mean what are on MuseScore etc. for a long time are copyright clean. 

At any rate, there are numerous commercially available copyright clean piano arrangements for many famous copyright protected pieces whch we could make use of to play on our concertinas. If you like the tune, it may not be a bad idea to buy one of these to pay tribute to the copyright holder (and avoid possible risk of being sued for copyright violation), rather than looking for some copyright-dubious freebies "floating around" on the Internet.

I hope my point is clear enough (if not, I am sorry. I am not a native English user). 

Totani

Edited by gtotani
typo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...