Inherited a Concertina.

We have just inherited a Concertina.  We don't know much about the instrument or what it is worth, year it was made etc.  Is it high end or budget?

We have a receipt from it being restored at the Button Box back in 2009, and doesn't look like its been played much since.

I have included some pictures.  If anyone has any info about it, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea what it would be worth?   Or point me to someone who would?

My Wife and I are not very musical and it would just sit in the closet.  We would rather sell it to someone that would enjoy it.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, The Lachenal no. 1 originally had four-fold bellows. Yours has six-fold bellows so they are a replacement, presumably by The Button Box. These are probably an improvement over the originals which were probably wrecked and had to be changed. I suspect that in proper playing condition a retail value from a store that specializes in vintage and antique instruments would be 800-1200 US dollars. By the way, I have a ca. 1890 Lachenal no. 2 with rosewood ends and original five-fold bellows and it's a good instrument. I'm the only English concertina player in Montreal that I know of but I'm sure in Vancouver with a sizeable British ex-pat population, there must be at least several. Hope this is of help. Sincerely, Juris 

Sorry, Don't know how to edit postings. I meant to write my Lachenal no. 2 has four-fold bellows as well and not five-fold as written. Just goes to show how easy it is to make mistakes when you don't have the information in front of you. J.