Stagi Anglo buttons stuck

Hello all, I’ve recently taken the plunge into concertinas with a Stagi Anglo I found on eBay. I’ve just received it and it appears to have some buttons stuck (see pics in link). This model doesn’t seem to be opened as easily as simply unscrewing and I’m looking for advice as to whether or not this is something I can repair on my own or should look to taking in to a shop. 

thanks in advance, I look forward to being a member of this community!

-Corey

pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/MGFL1MU

I don't have familiarity with this model but it looks like the bolts (or pins?) are located on the sides of the instrument above the bellows.   Not sure what is causing the stuck buttons but my first instrument (a different Stagi model) had this same issue.  After using it for a couple of months to learn the basics, I upgraded to what would be considered a midrange instrument: an instrument that was made by John Connor using old reeds and other parts from vintage instruments.  It made a world of difference.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, Swash said:

Hello all, I’ve recently taken the plunge into concertinas with a Stagi Anglo I found on eBay. I’ve just received it and it appears to have some buttons stuck (see pics in link). This model doesn’t seem to be opened as easily as simply unscrewing and I’m looking for advice as to whether or not this is something I can repair on my own or should look to taking in to a shop. 

thanks in advance, I look forward to being a member of this community!

-Corey

pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/MGFL1MU

Stagis use a little tube of black rubber to make the buttons spring back upright.  Over time, this rubber perishes, lose its 'ooomph' and degrades into a sticky blob.  In extremis, this results in buttons falling off inside the concertina.

It is not difficult to fix but it is a bit tedious.  You will need to replace all of these little strips of rubber tubing with some new tubing.  If you live near a modelling shop (as in aiplane or train modelling) then they sell a narrow, silicone tube for use in supplying fuel to model airplane engines, this stuff is a good permanent replacement for the rubber.  One brand is Du-Pro.  I am not sure of the diameter that you would need, but it is pretty small.  You can buy it online, you only need a couple of feet of it.

You need to take the wooden ends off the concertina to make this fix, getting them back on again can be a problem, especially if the buttons are falling over.  Try holding the concertina upside down with the buttons hanging down and then fit the end on from underneath.  Cursing and swearing does not help, but a prayer to the concertina gods might.  Patience is a virtue.

Added:   i just has another look at your photos.  That model uses accordion style pins to hold the ends on, not screws.  These pins are in the sides of the ends and need to be pulled out carefully with a pair of pliers.  This should let you pull the end off but it might need a bit of persuasion if it has not been taken off in years.

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Like 1

I regularly adjust my concertina ( originally sold under Hohner name, but made by Stagi in Italy).. it is not overly difficult, however make sure you do not do any adjustments that cannot be undone later on.

Make sure you unscrew carefully the ends, and ensure they go back onto the position they were screwed into.

It may be useful to dust a bit whilst you are at it; as its surprising how dusty they can be inside!

The buttons are usually quite loosely fitted, with rubber tube beneath each button; these can get warn over time and use, and at first you may find ( as I have sometimes) that you can remove rubber tube and simply turn it upside down, then put back on; then any slight mark in tube is, I have found, no longer resting in metal lever, and can save temporarily replacing a warn tubing.

I have made all kinds of adjustment to mine over 23 years, and will soon be opening up again to adjust an opening C natural note that keeps sounding off . I was lucky enough to once sent a whole bag full of spare buttons.

They can slip a lot ( buttons).. or catch on the next buttons opposite etc... 

Never one answer to problem; so go easy on adjustments and if uncertain get someone else to do the repair for you.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW