Pollen: A Good Reason For Covering My Concertina!

It's the time of year when that glowing, hazy, yellow-green stuff blows off the pine trees -- in thick clouds -- and settles everywhere. It accumulates quickly. It comes in through the open windows, too.

So here's two pics from today (plus another one of the frog, since his flowers are back), but the pollen hasn't even stopped coming, yet!

I do keep my concertina covered up, and if I want to play it outside when the pollen is bad, I have a bag-thing with holes to stick the hands in.

Edit added: If it's not obvious...that's a footprint in the pollen, on a porch step.

Edited by bellowbelle

Wendy, it seems to me that this year is worse than the past few. I am in misery. AC's are in and I've battened down the hatches.

My garden needs care however, and there is ole Roly-Poly with a mask on puffing away. The concertina is not allowed out right now. Please let it rain today and wash some of this stuff away!

What a clever idea.  You could play in the rain as well then?  Can we see a photo of you playing the 'tina while its in its bag?

Every Morris musician should have one. I'd like to see a photo too.

Chris

This is a photo of Kettlebridge Clogs processing at a St.George's Day parade. When the rain caught us out, I had this plastic poncho to protect me and the instrument. It was bought at Sidmouth during festival week last year for one pound. Edited to add: I know Rain is not the same as pollen but the need for protection is the same.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

I'll have to see if I can get a photo, later today or soon.

Gee, that poor accordion player, walking next to you, John!! ( ;) I do have just a bit of sympathy, since I still have an interest in playing mine). Too bad he didn't have a poncho.

I think that the poncho is the best idea, for rain or REALLY heavy pollen. (I used one at the last Squeeze-In, in fact, since it rained a lot.) My 'bag-things' are just fabric, just to keep the occasional stray pollen clouds out.

I've mentioned them before, but a long time ago...the topic was more-or-less about muffling sound so that other family members and neighbors wouldn't kill us :D . I know that some people said they've used a pair of trousers for a cover, with the legs being for the hands/arms.

Mark...I'm starting to realize that most 'gardening' borders on being a form of self-abuse... :blink: !!!! It's so demanding. Too hard on me, to garden the way most serious farmers do (some of my neighbors are amazing machines!). I do a tiny bit of it, but I'm getting more into houseplants and container-type gardening, so that I can deal with all the weather and other environmental shifts, and not have to put so much strain on my back bending down and forcing rocks out of the ground.

But, I do like to be outside. So, I at least repot the houseplants outside and fill the bird-feeders and whatever.

So....I'll try for a photo or two later, if I can get my husband or daughter to take some.

Self-abuse? I guess you're right. After I retreated indoors it had been so humid and hot that my hands were shaking and my head was spinning. My flowers are very beautiful though. I was at it again this morning.

Note to self: remember not to overdo it in the garden or you may end pushin' up daiseys from the wrong side. :(

John, what's up with the two accordion players? The rain must have melted what I assume are mostly paper bellows.

Edited by Mark Evans

This is a photo of Kettlebridge Clogs processing at a St.George's Day parade.

Thanks for that John. Totally irrelevant to this discussion board, but I used to live in Petts Wood many years ago and it was nice to see the shops again. Definitely no Morris passed by while I lived there! Not sure about St George's Day parade either!

Wendy another way of gardening is to put all the plants in containers,buy the little wheels that go under them and push them to various parts of the garden.In this way you can change your garden around in minutes and best of all no digging.

This gives you more time to play your concertina and relax.

Alternativly get in a big JCB dig a massive hole,fill it with water and sit by the edge of a lake playing your concertina.

Al B) ;)

Gee, that poor accordion player, walking next to you, John!! ( I do have just a bit of sympathy, since I still have an interest in playing mine). Too bad he didn't have a poncho.

John, what's up with the two accordion players?  The rain must have melted what I assume are mostly paper bellows.

There was also a melodeon which has had a lot of wear (partly hidden in the picture). The duration of our procession was about 30 minutes and it was not raining all the way, so he reckoned it would not make a lot of difference. The two accordion players were using their 'wet-weather' accordions - they both have a good one for better conditions.

- John

Edited by John Wild

Wendy another way of gardening is to put all the plants in containers,buy the little wheels that go under them and push them to various parts of the garden.In this way you can change your garden around in minutes and best of all no digging.

This gives you more time to play your concertina and relax.

Alternativly get in a big JCB dig a massive hole,fill it with water and sit by the edge of a lake playing your concertina.

Al B)  ;)

That's essentially the same type of gardening I've been thinking of doing, at least in one spot. I'm trying to be more vertical, using hanging baskets, etc., since low-to-ground stuff gets lost under the tall pines.

This year, I basically have no 'garden,' but I'm trying to at least keep up with what's there. Seems like it's too short of a growing season!

It's a bit weird here, in that we have an older house (by American measurements, that is!) on a woodsy-type spot -- even have some deep-woods types of things like Indian Pipes (Ghost Flowers) and mushrooms, Canada Mayflower, etc.. BUT -- though it seems huge to me, it's only about 1.5 acres, and right around us are mostly brand-new houses on lots that are more cleared out. (Most of the houses look pretty much alike...I don't like them, but mainly because I prefer trees around me).

We have 1.5 acres of deep woods in the middle of a 'city,' kinda. I've considered doing some real 'woodlands gardening,' but I haven't figured out how to deal with all the mosquitoes and ticks (without dying from insecticide).

I've wanted to garden but the physical demands can be a bit much! Rough on the hands and all, though I do use gloves.

Al  

What is a JCB?

I'd love to have a pond dug in our yard. (Notice, I did not say that I'd love to dig one!!!) A frog pond, of course. The problem around here, mostly, as far as enjoying it goes, is ticks. They don't seem to stay all summer, but they take up their fair share. I'm sure I must have Lyme Disease by now...seriously, I half-suspect that I do....

rambling rose here....

anyway...'s'all fer now I guess. Oops, sorry, I'll be more on-topic next time. No pics today, so much else I need to do. In fact, I'm only here at the computer because I'm overwhelmed by all the other stuff at the time!!!!

Edited to correct 'tics' to 'ticks'

Edited by bellowbelle

Just returned this afternoon from the "Suds" (actually, they never spell it that way, always different, but that's how it's always pronounced), a weekend gathering of mens Morris Dancing teams in NW Connecticut. We were camped in a field near Falls Village surrounded by pine trees. Walking from my car to my tent site (couple hundred yards) in sandals caused my feet to be covered in green dust. By the end of the weekend, we had to sweep it off our tent flys. But as far as I know, not much got in my concertina. I only took it out of the case there briefly.

I always prepare for rain at such events, however. I have a beach umbrella that I bought for $10. It has a thin shaft (half inch? 3/4?) with a blunt point that I can put into my right pants pocket. Then it comes up through my belt and I hold it between my right arm and the side of my chest. It opens just above my head and can cover 3 or 4 musicians.

My 'bag-things' are just fabric, just to keep the occasional stray pollen clouds out.

Wendy:

Have you considered other materials? I absolutely DESPISE ponchos, despite their practicality...You could use rip-stop nylon for light summer rains, and the "natural" alpaca wools, etc are both warm and waterproof if left unbleached (which strips the lanolin)...,most of the better knitting stores here carry it, and it would be cool for Christmas caroling! I have a knit cap in alpaca, and it is extremely warm and waterproof!

I can see a budding niche industry forming!

Here in the Willamette Valley the main crop is grass seed, thousands of acres of grass all pollinating at once. Yesterday as I drove home from work the west wind coming in off the Coast Range struck the fields and the pollen was so thick that I had to put on the Wipers to keep the windshield clean enough to see my way home. It rolled off the grass flowers like waves of surf hitting the shore. Even though I am rarely affected, even I this year have suffered runny nose and weepy eyes. Music is definitely an inside activity until the first mowing is over!

Sympathies & etc.

Rob