Lignum Vitae

TJPearson

I have several sets of very old crown green bowls that are now surplus to the requirements of my bowling club.

The committee decided that they would like to see the wood re-cycled if possible.

Some time ago the use of Lignum Vitae for concertina keys was discussed.

Hence I am placing this post.

The bowls are offered free to anyone, within the UK mainland who wants them, all you will have to pay is the postage costs.

6 hours ago, TJPearson said:

I have several sets of very old crown green bowls that are now surplus to the requirements of my bowling club.

The committee decided that they would like to see the wood re-cycled if possible.

Some time ago the use of Lignum Vitae for concertina keys was discussed.

Hence I am placing this post.

The bowls are offered free to anyone, within the UK mainland who wants them, all you will have to pay is the postage costs.

Yes please! 

Alex, pictures of your end use of the LV would be interesting.

My limited and non-concertina experience with Lignum Vitae has been that it is a difficult wood to use. My samples were sections of shaft bearing material from large trawlers, very hard on tooling.

oldchief/Jim Richardson

Some years ago I had a full set of uilleann pipes (in C) made of lignum vitae by Alan Ginsburg. When the set was new there were some shrinkage movements and very fine hairline cracks. Over a few weeks of playing every day, the entire instrument settled down. The hairline cracks disappeared before there were any discussions about repair or replacement, and they never reappeared. This was in a classic wet English climate in Wiltshire, and the pipes were made in a wetter climate in North Wales. The chanter and regulators sounded magnificent, and the whole set had a warm expressive sound. And a distinctive "piney" odor. Lignum Vitae...the Tree of Life.

Robert

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oldchief said:

Alex, pictures of your end use of the LV would be interesting.

My limited and non-concertina experience with Lignum Vitae has been that it is a difficult wood to use. My samples were sections of shaft bearing material from large trawlers, very hard on tooling.

oldchief/Jim Richardson

Will do. I have a feeling the trickiest part is going to be safely and efficiently sawing spheres into usable square turning blanks.

If I remember rightly, Colin Dipper, or a close associate of his (Robin Scard?), made several instruments with Lignum Vitae buttons back in the early 1980s. It would be interesting to know how the buttons (and indeed the concertinas) have fared over the years.

• Like 1

Second request here to see how you saw them up etc. please Alex.

By coincidence, last month I secured a Lignum Vitae bowling ball here in my bowling club in Paris, Ontario.

I asked if I  could have one from the many unusable old ones and most of them were melamine material but managed to find  a wooden set....maybe two more to follow.

I am interested to see how you deal with them.

Thanks

Robin