What Broadcasts Do You Listen To?

I listen regulary to a local program "Music of the Isles" Thursday nights on the independent radio station WMNF here in Tampa Florida. (The best little radio station on planet earth!) www(dot)wmnf(dot)org

I have also been listening to the fortnightly 209radio web broadcasts from their archive. www(dot)209radio(dot)co(dot)uk

It would be terrific if we could gather a collection of superior Celtic/British and other roots oriented radio broadcasts which could be listened to over the web.

So tell me, what programs and stations do you all listen to when you want to hear the music in which we share an interest?

(editied to try to make the urls less attractive to spam)

Edited by Daniel Bradbury

I'm a firm fan of 209Radio and think Christian does a great job.

I've just been listening to WMNF which sounds excellent. Unfortunately due to the different time zones, its aired in the middle of the night in UK terms and there doesn't seem to be any archive of the show which is a great shame. I generally burn 209's Makeitfolky onto a CD to listen to in the car as I do a lot of driving at work.

WGBH 89.9 in Boston has a long standing program with Brian O'Donovan, A Celtic Sojourn which plays Saturdays from noon to 3:00p.m. Occational live in studio concerts with visiting Celtic bands and performers. Always worth a listen.

Not sure about access on the net.

I listen regulary to a local program "Music of the Isles"  Thursday nights on the independent radio station WMNF here in Tampa Florida.  (The best little radio station on planet earth!)  www(dot)wmnf(dot)org

I have also been listening to the fortnightly 209radio web broadcasts from their archive.  www(dot)209radio(dot)co(dot)uk

It would be terrific if we could gather a collection of superior Celtic/British and other roots oriented radio broadcasts which could be listened to over the web.

So tell me,  what programs and stations do you all listen to when you want to hear the music in which we share an interest?

(editied to try to make the urls less attractive to spam)

RTE Radio 1's "The Late Session". The good thing is that the programs are archives: 2004 and 2005 (so far) (RealPlayer). Which means you can scroll through a program and get an idea if you want to listen through it. You can find software that will "record" live streams to a file. I am listening to it right now, great stuff, if you interested in the talk around the musicians and the events. Interviews.

Modern&traditional: "LiveIreland" (all three media types (RealPlayer, MP3=> iTunes/QuickTime and Windows Media)

/Henrik

WGBH's Celtic Sojourn airs at 12 noon Eastern Standard Time and should be accessable in the UK and Europe in the late afternoon or early evening.

WWW(dot)WGBH(dot)ORG.

Can you provide the URL for Culan and Ceili House?

Henrik's suggestiion for the late session can be found at :

http://www(dot)rte(dot)ie/radio1/thelatesession/

Live Ireland can be found at WWW(dot) liveireland(dot)com/ch1_popup(dot)html.

If we gather a fairly comprehensive list, perhaps we can add it to the site in a rather permanent way.

I know that there must be some programming in on the West Coast of the USA.

I will ask WMNF if they can provide an archive of Music of the Isles and perhaps we should flood WGBH with the same.

//Edited to add the intended message to the post//

Edited by Daniel Bradbury

Howdy:

AND please do not forget the highlight of my Saturday mornings, "A Thousand Welcomes" broadcast here in the New York City metropolitan area on WFUV (90.7) and closely followed at noon by "The Thistle and Shamrock".

Also on Sundays WFUV offers both "Ceol na nGael" and "The Thistle and Shamrock".

Archives for "A Thousand Welcomes" AND also "Ceol na nGael" are available for immediate gratification at

http://www.wfuv.org/

The archive listing for "A Thousand Welcomes" includes the once previosly mentioned show on October 9, 2004 and described as follows "The little squeezebox, the concertina, is in the spotlight today. Tunes from Noel Hill, Mary McNamara, Niall Vallely and many others"

Have fun,

Perry Werner

WGBH 89.9 in Boston has a long standing program with Brian O'Donovan, A Celtic Sojourn which plays Saturdays from noon to 3:00p.m.  Occational live in studio concerts with visiting Celtic bands and performers.  Always worth a listen.

Not sure about access on the net.

I love that show, when I do happen to catch it!

Other radio shows I sometimes like (...when I happen to catch them...) are Garrison Keillor's 'Prairie Home Companion.'

I've liked a lot of what I 'catch' on WICN (Worcester, MA station...has web access, too).

And, driving home from Amherst sometimes, at night, I've caught 'Mountain Stage' (out of West Virgina, but on an Amherst station**...I think??) and also...what was that other one...hmm...there's another one I catch while driving that trip, has world-type poets and music, but I can't remember the name of it.

I also like 'The Playground' show (again, when I happen to catch it), from Emerson College in Boston, which is mostly kind of silly/happy/ridiculous stuff that makes you laugh....5-8 pm on Sat & Sun...website is http://www.wers.org/playground/

**Edit added:

..Nope, not Amherst. I think it's WUMB from Boston 91.9. And 'That other show' was called 'Afropop.' The funny thing is, I can get this Boston station out in Western MA, but once I'm back home and much closer to Boston -- I lose the reception. But, I just found their online sites, too!

Edited by bellowbelle

I'm surprised that no one has spoken up for internet radio yet. I listen to Live365 a lot, a site that has thousands of internet "radio" stations. They have 88 Irish stations listed and when you search for ALL stations that stream some Irish content you get 233 listings.

Over the years I've bookmarked my favorite stations to make it easy to get to, and from time to time I'll seek out another mostly for a certain performer. For instance I can search for "Noel Hill" or "Niall Vallely". Some stations prominently have performer's names in their description which the search engine will key in on - AND - names in their playlists!

My current favorite station is "Highlander Radio" which blurbs: Live Broadcast featuring 600+ hours of Irish, Scottish & Celtic Music.

Another nice thing about this site is that it lists the tunes as you hear them - and you can grab them for your own amusement (just record with your computer as it streams by), buy them for 99 cents/tune (download), or order the entire CD the tune was played from with just a couple of clicks (usually a link to Amazon.com).

There're even stations that play nothing but accordion music :blink: . Unfortunately none yet that play non-stop concertina. At one time the Button Box was going to remedy that but we got buried in permissions/royalties red tape. Since then Live365 has worked that out but we've had to back burner that project in favor of some other ones.

Now wouldn't that have been nice.... Hours of choice tunes/songs streaming audio from our store's offerings. Of course the links to "buy it now" would be then directed to us rather than Amazon or some other site. But then again, many of you get your CDs from us anyway....

Speaking of Internet Radio don't forget Folk Alley, the Internet-only folk station from Kent State in Ohio. All music, no commercials 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I also like to listen to FolkWaves on BBC's Derby station. It broadcasts from 4:00pm to 6:00pm EST on Mondays and features a lot of British folk music including a generous share of EC.

And, for the past 25 years, I have been a regular listener to Mary Cliff's Traditions program on WETA from Washington, D.C. on Saturday nights. Since moving to the mid-west I have been recording it via Replay Radio from the Internet.

While I'm at it I also recommend Replay Radio for recording Internet radio. This great program lets you schedule to automatically record Internet radio programs and save them in a number of ways. I use it to record programs in 30 minute MP3 files that I can transfer to my MP3 player.

WSIU from the Southern Illinois University campus in Carbondale, Illinois hosted by Bryan Kelso Crow happens to be one of my all time favorites! It is aired at 3pm (maybe 2pm) Central Std Time here in the US. There is live satellite stream and an archive.

www.celticconnectionsradio.org/

Steve

Boy, have I had a pint or two too many.

Corrections!

I hear the Celtic Connections show aired on a local Public Radio station that is streamed live on Sunday afternoon at 3pm CST in the US. The archive site that I saw I did not pay too much attention to as it was a Photo Archive. Sorry for all of the mis-information but this is a really good program and you can listen to it in real time feed from KUNI FM Public Radio Station from the campus of the University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa, USA. URL: http://kuniradio.org/

:blink: Steve

Edited by s2maur

I'm surprised that no one has spoken up for internet radio yet. I listen to Live365 a lot, a site that has thousands of internet "radio" stations. They have 88 Irish stations listed and when you search for ALL stations that stream some Irish content you get 233 listings.

Do you have to install a proprietary player for Radio365? And how much does membership cost? (their Web site is a little vague on the subject).

WUMB is nice, but a little too heavy with singer-songwriters for my taste (many seem to be charter members of the cliche-of-the-month club). But it does rebroadcast Chicago's Midnight Special at 10 AM EST Sundays, the most eccentric folk music show and the one I grew up with.

Here in the washington area we have almost nothing on the airwaves, save the irritating "Traditions" program on WETA, whose host somehow believes people tune into her show to hear her talk, not play music. Folk talk radio is something I can live without!

Edited by Jim Besser

Do you have to install a proprietary player for Radio365? And how much does membership cost? (their Web site is a little vague on the subject).......

Well, I've yet to explore the whole site, but I found this: http://www.live365.com/mylive365/

I was able to play a 'freebie' song, so far, and I have no 365 software installed.

It looks like a great site, I'll have to check it out some more!