SOLD - Wheatstone Baritone English 48

Sid Wayne Goldsmith

Hi Folks 

I have a Rosewood ended 48 key Baritone English Wheatstone concertina for sale.

I bought it from Chris Algar and have had it overhauled by Steve Dickinson at Wheatstone so it's probably playing as well as it did on leaving the factory. Lovely full low end. Steel reeds. New bellows from Mike Acott. Original wooden, velvet lined case but missing the key and handle. Unfortunately the serial number is missing but it's so similar to my treble wheatstone that I'd guess 1870-1890. With the overhaul I've spent £3400 on it but would happily take £3000 to see it go to a good home. I'm based in Bristol and would prefer a situation where it can be picked up or delivered by myself but open to other scenarios.
Video here on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pci4MUb8D24

I'll certainly donate to CNET if I sell it on here.

IMG_0734.HEICIMG_0737.HEIC

Edited by Sid Wayne Goldsmith

On 7/5/2022 at 12:40 PM, Sid Wayne Goldsmith said:

Unfortunately the serial number is missing but it's so similar to my treble wheatstone that I'd guess 1870-1890.

I have what would appear to be an almost identical baritone. It's numbered 22888, which puts it in the period of the lost ledgers (about 1895 - 1905).

Mine retains the original leather baffles. The only other difference is mine has gold/brass buttons for all the Cs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, Little John said:

I have what would appear to be an almost identical baritone. It's numbered 22888, which puts it in the period of the lost ledgers (about 1895 - 1905).

Mine retains the original leather baffles. The only other difference is mine has gold/brass buttons for all the Cs.

Thanks for this John.

I like the idea of gold Cs. Not seen that before.

How does yours play?

11 hours ago, Sid Wayne Goldsmith said:

Hi there 

Whereabouts are you based? I'll be coming to the US in October and may be able to bring it. 

Thanks

Hi Sid,

Actually I've just purchased another concertina that's on its way, so hopefully I'll not be needing one by then. But in the off chance, that could be a possibility. I'm in Bellingham, WA in any case.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:02 AM, Sid Wayne Goldsmith said:

How does yours play?

Very well. I had it serviced by Colin Dipper when I first acquired it. It's got a fairly gentle tone because of the baffles, but you can wind it up to get some volume. The previous owner used it for morris dancing. That was a long time ago, so it's likely he was playing solo. Had he been competing against melodeons he would probably have been tempted to remove the baffles.

In truth I hardly play it as I'm primarily a Crane duet player, but I've kept it for sentimental reasons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...