Damage to metal end plate on my Marcus G/D Anglo

One of the metal end plates on my Marcus 30-button G/D Anglo has suffered some slight damage.

One of the corners of the hexagonal end plate has been bent slightly so that the corner is 'proud;

of the underlying wooden end frame by ~ 3/32".

I have no idea how this happened - I look after my instruments and do not throw them around,

use them for juggling, or park them under the wheels of a 'bus...

Question is, how do I fix it? The bend is 'smooth', Can I detach the metal plate from the end and 

carefully bend it back again, or does this need to go to a 'fettler'.?

Ta.

Edited by lachenal74693

Yes end plate needs to be taken off and straightened on a flat surface that can act as an anvil, and preferably with a light hammer with a smooth polished face so you don't leave marks on the surface.  A silversmith would have the skills and tools.

11 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

One of the metal end plates on my Marcus 30-button G/D Anglo has suffered some slight damage.

One of the corners of the hexagonal end plate has been bent slightly so that the corner is 'proud;

of the underlying wooden end frame by ~ 3/32".

I have no idea how this happened - I look after my instruments and do not throw them around,

use them for juggling, or park them under the wheels of a 'bus...

Question is, how do I fix it? The bend is 'smooth', Can I detach the metal plate from the end and 

carefully bend it back again, or does this need to go to a 'fettler'.?

Ta.

I would suggest you have it repaired by someone who is experienced in working with metal. A hammer shouldn't be used directly as it will probably leave dents which could not be removed. Not being able to see the damage limits my suggestions, but if it is a perfectly flat grill made of nickel silver, I might try putting it on a piece of wood with the curved surface in the "up' position, and lightly tap on it using another piece of wood tapped lightly by a hammer. In that way you should not have any hammer marks on it. A photo would be helpful to see the grill Is it a perfectly flat grill or does it have a raised edge? What material is it made from? etc?

I've taken the ends off my G/D Marcus  (number 625) a few times and the end plates are detachable but why not send it back to Marcus, I've always found them very obliging and helpful and quite quick to respond. Give them a ring and see. I believe the endplates are stainless steel.

Not an expert but I'd expect a roller of some sort would apply a more even pressure and with less chance of damage.  Use a thick piece of felt or towel under and apply more pressure mid-bend to counter spring back.  Place a thin piece of felt over if you're using a roller with a hard surface.

Edited by wunks
more info,
  • Like 1

If the end plate is flat (ie no raised areas) I would be inclined to try pressing it between some hardwood boards that cover the whole end and some C-clamps.  I looked at the Marcus website, and can't really tell from the photos if the have raised areas.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I need to think carefully about doing it myself - I have a very small selection of tools.

Here's a picture - not a very good one I'm afraid - I don't usually do pictures...:

WIN_20220627_05_42_13_Pro.thumb.jpg.4b61247930dc0efdb297225fa3823060.jpg

It's No. 453 incidentally. I've had the ends off before, but couldn't remember if the end-plates were easily removable.

It's a pretty substantial piece of steel. I really have no Idea how it happened.

It looks pretty tough but it doesn't look kinked.  As an alternative you could rig up a small press with a table top, a block (both with felt ) and a C clamp or just use a drill press in this manner if you have one.  

This looks like a very easy fix if you are used to working with metal. I doubt it is steel, if it was then the force needed to bend it would be an event you would definitely have noticed. If it is nickel copper ( sometimes called German Silver and often used in ends) it is very soft and could be bent back by hand but my weapon of choice would be a dead blow hammer. 

If you try rolling, then the metal can stretch, if you hammer, then you probably will mark the surface, even with brass guard shims. Pressing is the best option, but you need to take the metal just past flat, to allow for the elastic limit, even on relatively soft material like nickel. Personally I would talk to the manufacturer who will be dealing with this sort of issue on a daily basis as part of the manufacturing process. 

There are other more brutal and certainly not recommended ways: a peck hammer on the reverse side, or heating and water, both very skilled and likely to leave permanent marking of one form or another

9 hours ago, d.elliott said:

...Personally I would talk to the manufacturer who will be dealing with this sort of issue on a daily

basis as part of the manufacturing process...

Thanks! I think this is what I am going to do - or to some other maker nearer to home who will be able

to do the job.

Fortunately, the playing of the beast isn't affected, so (within reason) I can take a little time to come

to a decision.

I would try to bend it with my fingers first, and if that fails:

rubbermallet_600x600.jpg

The key thing is putting it on something soft that supports it from below. If  the end plate has a lowered edge, the shape of the support block should reflect that.

Edited by alex_holden
Sent too soon