Traditional Anglo Concertina Makers

For yucks I made a spreadsheet of Anglo builders who use traditional reeds.  I was curious about what prices are these days.  There are a surprising number of puzzles, perhaps some of you can chime in with how dear a Dipper of Edgley is these days.  Also three makers have closed their books for now, out of 16.  

Hope this is of interest.

• Like 1

The Irish Concertina Company lists their top model, the Eirú at €4300, not sure what the next model down, the Vintage goes for as I can't see a price for it on their website. Re: the price of an Edgley Heritage - there was one posted for sale here last week and the seller, who's the original owner stated that it cost them $6900 CAD when new in 2020 if I recall correctly:

https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/25316-magnifique-heritage-edgley-cg-30-keys-2020-maple-and-steel-ends-to-sell-wheatstone-layout/

Edited by Jillser Nic Amhlaoibh
inserted link to seller's ad
  • Like 1

For my Edgley (in 2020)

450$ CAD deposit

+ 6627$ (includes the pelican case (450$); *Prices vary according to personal requests. 

Frank Edgley is an excellent facteur de concertina! He's really meticulous and competent. Still love my Heritage model. If I sell it (not sure yet), it’s because I just bought a Lachenal 32 keys; a different sound that I’ve been dreaming about for a long time.

Edited by Lyle Aubry

OK, I updated the chart, thanks for all the extra info.  The average price is $5,071.89, fwiw.  That includes a price from 7 years ago which is no doubt old, skewing the results.  OK, I updated the chart, thanks for all the extra info.  The average price is $5,071.89, fwiw.  That includes a price from 7 years ago which is no doubt old, skewing the results.  

I recently had to attend to a minor fault on an 'Irish Concertinas Co.' model 'Vintage'. I was seriously impressed by the build standard. The only issue was that one of the reeds was too tight in it's dovetailed slot and the wood had pinched a bit causing the clearance along the flank of the reed tongue. The reeds tongues were accordion style mounted into individual brass frames, riveted. I did not have the opportunity to check tuning, but it sounded OK to me, and bold of tone.

The bellows were nice and neat, the action riveted. the reed pan is Jeffries style in layout. I cannot comment on cost, but as a concertina choice I would not hesitate to put the model forward for consideration. 

Back in 2018, the price Gys Mans asked for his 40 button concertina was 35000ZAR. 

Due to COVID-19 pandemic, he suspended his concertina production in 2020 and not restarted yet when I got in touch with him this year. 

I think he is not taking order now. 

Totani

Edited by gtotani

On 6/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, d.elliott said:

I recently had to attend to a minor fault on an 'Irish Concertinas Co.' model 'Vintage'. I was seriously impressed by the build standard. The only issue was that one of the reeds was too tight in it's dovetailed slot and the wood had pinched a bit causing the clearance along the flank of the reed tongue. The reeds tongues were accordion style mounted into individual brass frames, riveted. I did not have the opportunity to check tuning, but it sounded OK to me, and bold of tone.

The bellows were nice and neat, the action riveted. the reed pan is Jeffries style in layout. I cannot comment on cost, but as a concertina choice I would not hesitate to put the model forward for consideration. 

David, Thank you for looking after my customer. In reply to those enquiring about my prices of different models, you can find all the details on the front page of our website:  

https://www.irishconcertinacompany.com/

Thank you for your kind comments,

Sean Garvey 

Maker

3 hours ago, DR SQUEESE said:

David, Thank you for looking after my customer. In reply to those enquiring about my prices of different models, you can find all the details on the front page of our website:  

https://www.irishconcertinacompany.com/

Thank you for your kind comments,

Sean Garvey 

Maker

It was a pleasure.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just rewritten the Purchase page on my website to clarify how my ordering process works now. The order book is not entirely closed, but you have to let me know you are interested in making a purchase in the future, and then (several years later) I'll invite you to place a firm order. This two-stage process works better for me because when I had an open book the orders were coming in faster than I could build them.

https://www.holdenconcertinas.com/purchase/

• Like 1