Difficulty removing ends

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing stubborn ends on an English concertina ? Screws

are removed around the edge but still stuck.

I would venture that this instrument has sat compressed in its box for some time.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Thanks 

Edited by Stephen DOUGLASS

Thanks Alan, it is my understanding that those screws are for accessing the action box by removing the plate. I'm trying to remove the complete action box so that I can access  the reeds. I have a Wheatstone also, and all I need to do is remove the outside edge 8 screws. This gives me access to the reeds. The instrument I'm having difficulty with is an English Crabb and I'm wondering if it's a different set up for removing that part.

Edited by Stephen DOUGLASS

In theory they should just come loose after you've removed the outer bolts. I hope a previous owner hasn't glued them on in an effort to cure a leak. You may have to try working a thin dull blade into the seam between the action box and bellows. If you're lucky they will pop apart, but there is a risk it will cause damage if they have been firmly glued on.

I often  find  that  one  of  my  concertinas  has  this  'stuck-on  ends'  syndrome  but  it  is  just  that  the  ends  fit  so  well to  the  bellows  frames  and  reedpan  gaskets  that  they  appear  stuck.  It  is  almost  like  static friction.  A  nudge  or  lifting  firmly  will break  the  seal...

I  hope  this  is  the  case  with  yours.