Jeffries radial reedpan

6 hours ago, malcolm clapp said:

What Theo said.

I did suggest this and other comparatively simple reasons for the lack of volume some weeks ago, but these ideas seems to have been dismissed in favour of more complex (and possibly insurmountable) causes, though an interesting thread has nevertheless resulted..... 🙂

And the valves in the photos do look quite "chunky"

• Like 1

Hi Malcolm and Theo.

I used Columbia organ leather which is very supple. It's not as thin as I'd like but despite that some of the smaller reeds sound well. I'm now trying out a slightly higher setting on the reeds which seems better suited to the chambers and produces a better sound.

It sounds like a very interesting instrument Shay, presumably made in order to solve the problem of the tone difference between the reeds on the inside row, compared with the rest of the instrument, from the more normal (parallel-chambered) Jeffries reed-pans.

Are you coming to Miltown, and will you have it with you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen,

I'm afraid I only got this after coming back from Milltown. I'll bring it the next time if you let me know

what music weekend you'll be at where I might be too. Or if you're in Dublin anytime give me a shout.

Shay

• 2 months later...

Having relined the reedpan and adjusted the reeds I still wasn't completely happy with the response. When I  took out the reedpan again to look at it I checked it on a piece of glass to check the leather seals were flush with the surface. They weren't. So I turned it over and noticed a slight rocking, Yes the reedpan was slightly warped. I removed the seals and sanded the top of the reedpan until the rocking ceased. I relined it again and lo and behold the response was so much better. It also explained why the LH side was ok, since it was not warped.

So my original thought that the radial reedpan affected the sound was incorrect. I'm sorry I misled you all with this supposition. I should have checked for warping in the first instance

I'd  like to thank you all for your comments which were helpful in their own right. 

I presume Jeffries didn't stick with the radial reedpan as it was more complicated to make. He tended to favour the more straightforward methods, to save time and cost, Hence the parallell reedpans, the rectangular valves and the strap screws without an insert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1