Concertina with ostrich decoration on UK eBay

Could it be the word's meaning  is hidden in the image?

For example if it is a typical Germanic  concertina, this would be a play on the word " Oesterrich.. an old German word meaning Eastern Realm..

Maybe it's a play on the word as to it being of similar country of  origin?

On 5/31/2022 at 2:03 AM, Daniel Hersh said:

I've seen ostriches on concertina boxes (for example, at https://jodykruskal.com/concertina_gallery_files/page17-1047-full.html ) but this is the first time I've seen one on a concertina:

s-l500.jpg

Listing is at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255560089541 .

The image on the concertina appears to be a simplified version of what's on the label - I wonder if it was the maker's trade mark?

The maker's label in your link, Daniel, is printed with the initials G. G. K. S., which probably stands for Gebrüder Gündel, Klingenthal, Saxony - a harmonica, accordion and concertina factory founded in 1872, and still operating in 1961. I have a copy of the 1903 Musical Opinion & Music Trade Review Directory that lists "Gundel, G. (Klingenthal).-Concertina maker. Sole agent: R. Hahn, 81 Milton St, EC"

John Henry Ebblewhite's address on the box label of the eBay one, at 4&5, High Street, Aldgate, was where he was located from 1883 until his death in 1901, and his executors continued to run the business (under his name) there until 1916.

Edited by Stephen Chambers
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

The image on the concertina appears to be a simplified version of what's on the label - I wonder if it was the maker's trade mark?

The maker's label in your link, Daniel, is printed with the initials G. G. K. S., which probably stands for Gebrüder Gündel, Klingenthal, Saxony - a harmonica, accordion and concertina factory founded in 1872, and still operating in 1961. I have a copy of the 1903 Musical Opinion & Music Trade Review Directory that lists "Gundel, G. (Klingenthal).-Concertina maker. Sole agent: R. Hahn, 81 Milton St, EC"

John Henry Ebblewhite's address on the box label of the eBay one, at 4&5, High Street, Aldgate, was  where he was located from 1883 until his death in 1901, and his executors continued to run the business (under his name) until 1916.

Stephen - Thanks for the info!  It does seem likely that it was a trade mark that they used.  Here's a photo of a different version of the label that also says G. G. K. S.:

ostrich III.jpg

Edited by Daniel Hersh
  • Like 2