Left hand walking/crabbing

When I started to learn the concertina I enjoyed watching certain players using their left hand ,with the appearance of walking, or a crab walking across the buttons .It was mainly where they played the base note of a chord, or base run followed by the chord note by note.

John Watcham was a master at it and was just lovely to listen to and watch. Timing of course is a major factor. So instead of a full chord it was almost dissected. 

Most awkward to describe and even more awkward to perform.

Al

Left hand walking? Crabbing? 

I have never heard the term, but it is interesting concept.

There must be a different hand and finger technique for English to Anglo ways of playing. I am no example, as my hands I placed more like two left feet on my own set up! But it works, at least for me anyway!

On 5/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, Alan Day said:

John Watcham was a master at it and was just lovely to listen to and watch

Alan,

I also find that I can enjoy music - of any genre - much more deeply when I can not only hear, but also see the performers. I suppose it's analogous to a face-to-face conversation giving you more insight into the person you're talking to than a telephone call would.

Cheers,

John

I saw a few players in the early days that were natural players ,being able to split their brains in half and play lovely tunes with the right hand with lovely base runs rolling chords on the left . To be able to hear and appreciate Anglo Duet and English concertinas played to perfection was something to practice towards and emulate. With practice you get better but many would say that you are always reaching for perfection all your playing career.