Concertina & Squeezebox Magazine On Cd

shipcmo

Concertina & Squeezebox Magazine on CD

Volume Number 1, Number 1 thru Issue Number 32

All 1,437 pages!

In Adobe PDF format

$20.00 US, postpaid in the Continental USA.

Canada: $20.00, postpaid (US funds)

Foreign: $22.00, postpaid (US funds)

Non credit card PayPal accepted

George Salley

5098 US Hwy 258 N

Tarboro, NC 27886

USA

• 8 months later...
Concertina & Squeezebox Magazine on CD

Volume Number 1, Number 1 thru Issue Number 32

All 1,437 pages!

In Adobe PDF format

$20.00 US, postpaid in the Continental USA.

Canada: $20.00, postpaid (US funds)

Foreign: $22.00, postpaid (US funds)

Non credit card PayPal accepted

George Salley

5098 US Hwy 258 N

Tarboro, NC 27886

USA

This sounds like a bargain. It was always a good read, with some interesting articles.

Regards,

Peter.

Yes, and good on Geo for reissuing these! My copy is here on the table...I've been meaning to browse through it some more, but I am covering for an ill colleague at work and all the time seems to have disappeared. Soon, I'm sure.

That's the full run, published somewhat intermittently from 1983 to 1995. It's hard to summarize the content but there were a number of excellent articles on concertinas and concertina music and (in the later years) covering various types of button accordions as well.

Daniel

I'm not familiar with the magazine. Are the further copies beyond number 32 or is this the entire run? What kind of information was published in it?

I should add that graphically it was a treat. Joel Cowan, the editor for much of its run, was a capable artist who extensively decorated the magazine with all sorts of witty and pretty engravings. Each mag must have taken ages to produce and in retrospect was hopelessly uneconomic, but they are treasures. I highly value my paper copies.

Chris

I ordered this CD of backissues from George Salley last summer. I read through them quickly and found them very interesting. They come as a collection of individual pages scanned into pdf files. Soon I found myself wanting to go back and find things, which was generally time-consuming and difficult. I could print them out, but instead, I’ve been v-e-r-y slowly preparing an index of the 32 issues. After 6 months, I’m only halfway through and it’s basically only a list of article and song titles. I’ll send the index to George if I ever finish and he can include it on the cd, if he wants, or else post it here.

Anyway, you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll curse, and that’s just from looking at concertina prices 20 years ago. A few article titles through what I’ve indexed (issue 16) include:

Accompaniment with the Anglo - Geo Salley

Types of Concertina - Oliver Heatwole

History of the Jeffries - Joel Cowan

Louis Killen reminiscence

Concertina Tradition in County Clare - Joel Cowan

Restoring an Anglo - Richard Ashbrook

Air Leaks at the Reeds - Geo Salley

interviews with John Kirkpatrick, Alistair Anderson, Colin Dipper, Bertram Levy

Repairing Tipsy Buttons - Geo Salley

Reed Adjustments - Geo Salley

the much-debated “Concertina around Cape Horn” by Stuart Frank

The Concertina in the Great War

Left Hand Chords for the Anglo by Barry Metzner

It’s fun to see some of our group pop up now and again. There are letters from Jim Lucas and Frank Edgley, a review of the Willie Clancy school by Dan Worrall, there’s a photo of a teenaged Danny Chapman who had just won a concertina competition, etc.

Edited by Stephen Mills

I bought the full set a while back and have enjoyed them. But I'm wondering: is there some way to print them without opening each individual page PDF file and printing that? Very laborious, and the PDF reader is slow and unstable on my computer.

Under Linux you can convert pdf files to postscript and then print them from the command line. Not sure if there's a similar solution under Windows.

I'm tempted enough now to get myself a copy of the CD ROM. It really sounds like a great resource.

I am about to order this CD...

To Jim:

If you want a lightweight PDF reader and you are using Windows, I recommend Foxit Reader from Foxit Software ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ ). It's free and runs fast.

To merge individual pages to one PDF file, you can find some shareware *or* free pdftk.

pdftk is available from http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ .

I always use pdftk but it is a command line tool. If you are familiar with command prompt ( dos box ), I recommend this.

for your information...

Taka

Edited by Takayuki YAGI

To merge individual pages to one PDF file, you can find some shareware *or* free pdftk.

pdftk is available from http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ .

I always use pdftk but it is a command line tool. If you are familiar with command prompt ( dos box ), I recommend this.

THank you! Command lines are fine, I'll get a copy and try it out.

Edited to add:

Tried PDFP, a simple command line utility. WOrks like a charm; was able to print an entire issue of C and S in one pass, without opening up the individual PDFs. Thanks Takayuki YAGI

Edited by Jim Besser

• 10 months later...