Jump to content

Bastari Hayden button fixed


Recommended Posts

When I took the end off my recently-acquired secondhand Peacock I found a toothpick. It was still in it's cellophane packet. 

 

Too short for button-jiggling - I too used a meat skewer for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to hear you're getting some good use out of the Bastari duet.  I've also used plastic covered wire cut from clothes hangers and appropriately sized thin dowels or the equivalent to get buttons lined up.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jim Bayliss said:

Glad to hear you're getting some good use out of the Bastari duet.  I've also used plastic covered wire cut from clothes hangers and appropriately sized thin dowels or the equivalent to get buttons lined up.   

Good to hear from you, Jim. Are you saying you use the wire and dowels on the Bastari’s buttons? On mine they’d fall right over unless I was actively supporting each button with the props at the same time. I don’t think there’s any workable alternative than to use gravity and lower the buttons upside-down into the holes. The wire/dowels approach would seem to work with the Wheatstone, whose buttons are more likely to stay where you put them unless you knock into them while trying to straighten another button. 😖

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Jim. I can imagine having used some thinner tool (like light wire) and saved a couple of attempts, even upside down.  But, as David B. says, upside down is the only way to do it, at least on our old Bastaris.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, indeed.  Jim has since divested himself of a full pair of Bastari Haydens; one playable to some lucky pilgrim, and one for parts/repair, to me.  As I figure it, David, you and I between us have about 10% of the world's complement of that first-edition Bastari Hayden!  In fact, I was imagining having to take parts from the "parts machine" until I realized nothing was really broken or missing on my playable one.  And, Jim or David, any extant copy of that Georgy Girl recording?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 7:55 AM, David Colpitts said:
On 5/13/2022 at 7:55 AM, David Colpitts said:

Yes, indeed.  Jim has since divested himself of a full pair of Bastari Haydens; one playable to some lucky pilgrim, and one for parts/repair, to me.  As I figure it, David, you and I between us have about 10% of the world's complement of that first-edition Bastari Hayden!  In fact, I was imagining having to take parts from the "parts machine" until I realized nothing was really broken or missing on my playable one.  And, Jim or David, any extant copy of that Georgy Girl recording?

 

I'll make a recording and will let you know when it's on my YouTube channel.  Thanks for your interest.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that upside down is the way to replace the endplates on the Bastari.  It's been a long time since I did that.  The dowels and wires have been useful for me on Wheatstones and my Wakkers to keep the buttons straight for upright endplate replacement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...