Uploading videos

Hello, Maybe I can offer a hint  here, as someone who has put a lot of videos on net recently!

I downloaded a software ( free software( online which converts files to other formats ( which can reduce file size).. I do have a YouTube channel as well, but firstly, I convert my video to MP4 format which vastly reduces the size; with no noticeable loss of video quality. And then I put them on YouTube channel ( which is easy to set up for yourself).

Now, the most important part; that is to copy the link from your chosen video, and paste it into page on concertina net. ( It is a little icon with a link shape in appearance.)

You may either then see video appear in preview, or just the word description that links it.

I hope this helps, and doesn't sound too complicated? I know it works as I had to learn to do it myself when I joined a few months back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

( It is a little icon with a link shape in appearance.)

Don’t use that icon. If you make a link out of the url, it will simply appear here as an underlined url (a link). If you just paste it as raw unformatted text, the video itself will appear here (the system gives you a chance to prevent this, if that’s what you prefer) and can be played right from this window.

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies ❤️ I was trying to do it the easy way, which was to record on the web cam to a .webm file, then load it directly. That works for facebook, I was hoping it would work here without having to process through a video editing app, or send to youtube. I have a youtube account, but I use it for other type things, so I think I may have to set up one especially for the concertina progress.

6 minutes ago, Martin Essery said:

Thank you for the replies ❤️ I was trying to do it the easy way, which was to record on the web cam to a .webm file, then load it directly. That works for facebook, I was hoping it would work here without having to process through a video editing app, or send to youtube. I have a youtube account, but I use it for other type things, so I think I may have to set up one especially for the concertina progress.

Videos are huge files. Youtube and FaceBook offer unlimited free storage, while concertina.net offers a limited amount of (also free) storage that you would very quickly burn through trying to upload videos here. One possibility, if you’re concerned about what is on your youtube account, is to post the videos there as private, which means that they don’t appear in searches, but anyone who has the URL can see them. Then post the URL here (as I described above).

• Like 1

Just now, David Barnert said:

One possibility, if you’re concerned about what is on your youtube account, is to post the videos there as private...

I'm pretty sure "unlisted" is the actual setting. Private videos are generally unavailable even with the link.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Videos are huge files. Youtube and FaceBook offer unlimited free storage, while concertina.net offers a limited amount of (also free) storage that you would very quickly burn through trying to upload videos here. One possibility, if you’re concerned about what is on your youtube account, is to post the videos there as private, which means that they don’t appear in searches, but anyone who has the URL can see them. Then post the URL here (as I described above).

Seems I managed to post this before finishing the comment, but cannot see how to delete it. There is a mismatch in the text format that scrambles what I write, so I have to write a text document and then copy it here. As I said elsewhere, I have not used forums for some time, and am having to relearn, so please forgive my errors 🙂

Edited by Martin Essery

Just now, Martin Essery said:

Thank you, I understand now. I think it might be nice to open a new channel for all things concertina, it is a bit if a quest for me, so youtube  would be a good way to document progress. Only just into my second week with my new Tina, so just finding my feet and organising how I want to present it. You have crystalised my intent, so thank you ❤️

3 minutes ago, Steve Schulteis said:

I'm pretty sure "unlisted" is the actual setting. Private videos are generally unavailable even with the link.

You’re probably right. I’ve never done it, myself.

Edited by David Barnert
Typo: ever -> never
  • Like 2

Having only done you tube channel of my own in last few months, I have learned a few little tricks that may help; if once your video has been completely uploaded, you will get a choice to either have it watchable privately, or "suitable for children".. I always choose suitable for children ( as there's nothing to offend anyone!).. the bonus here is they will not stick 'ads' in the video, or annoying promotions. The only downside is you cannot then get comments listed, of what people think! But, myself, I would rather have it that way, ( we all know internet can be full of rough necks sometimes).. but you have that choice.

Software. . I have downloaded I use to compress video is called WONDERFOX and a basic version is free to download ( if you want basic version).. this can compress files down very efficiently, in a choice of video formats. They may want you to upgrade to paid version; but you do not need it, basic one is fine.

Hope this helps?

Best of luck..

Ps: people on concertina.net will no doubt give you help, and hints on your progress ( so you do not really need YouTube comments anyway)!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

You got on at last..

Great session, and your first entry on here? More like an experienced pro, to me. Played with great feeling!

Thank you. Yes, first entry here of vids. Lifelong musician, sometimes professional, mostly harp, had a 20 button in teens, this is my return to concertinas after half a century 🙂
This was after 4 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e86urBjAE0
and this was a couple of days later. Never felt like singing with my harp, seems so right with the tina 🙂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB2fpozKKw

I think a concertina is a bit like a person in its makeup; it has lungs ( bellows).. voice ( reeds).. and personality which is ultimately released by the player themselves.

So a lot is put into playing them, and giving it a voice !

I started on 20 key Anglo way back in 1988; very basic thing it was, but it got me started..  then by 1999 I got my current one ( more choice of accidentals) so at last I could then try out all those exotic keys I had studied. Then I   increased my transcription copies of music to.play.

These kind of instruments seem to inspire a lot of affection from the musicians who play them; which is the charm, I think.