That favourite concertina of yours?

I have only one sole concertina now;  the one I play music on, write music with, and has connections over years to past events, and people who I once knew.  The same one I attempted to play along with my [late father] Jozef, and his accordion; and which therefore although its make is sometimes lampooned by purists [Hohner branded Italian steel reeds bought in 1999]..]  is to me important than any other.  Yes, it is naughty sometimes;  it often needs adjusting here and there, and has its own temperament [character] sometimes breathy, sometimes buttons moving, or springs on mechanism get attention when required [which I learned to adjust myself].. I could once have got a very expensive instrument at on stage; I had the rare opportunity to do so.  So why did I NOT bother? You may ask.. Well because I am rather fond of this one instrument, and so much I have done with it over the years.  The farthest  I may go one day is find one to go round composing with [on site/ on location] as compositional working instrument [but that's another story!]..

So how about you all here on  the net.  ..?  You must also have that special instrument that meant so much that you cherish it more than any other? What say you?

If it works for you.. does it matter what any one thinks?

I have known quite a few guitar players/ singers that play with what I would call an unplayable instrument. Generally, ones that have neck issues the prevent them from playing above @ the 5th fret. But, as all they play is 1st position chords it works for them.

if your box, is in tune with itself. But not tuned to standard. It does not matter if you only play by yourself. If you have a slow instrument but are not needing to play (e.g.) Irish music at session speed. Then you can work around that as well. 

So, depending on what you do.. if it is working for you. And inspires you to continue, practicing and playing. That is all that matters.

1 hour ago, maccannic said:

I have that problem - they move about all over the place.  Sometimes it takes me ages to find the one I want.

Which make of insrument do you have? I suppose various types can have issues now and again. There's usually a way round these little foibles, I have found, by careful adjustment ; as mechanism is straightforward .. if you are patient.

That's funny to say, I've never had the chance to touch my favorite instrument yet. The instrument in my dream is a 40 button Anglo Concertina, but this kind of instrument are so rare on the market, they're either too expensive that out of my budget or too Bastari-ish. Actually I am playing a Bastari W-40-MS now and I guess I need to play it for a really long time until I can find, or afford a better one.

Ive never played one but for the past 4 years Ive wanted a G-bass concertina but there so rare that I have trouble finding one and if I did it would probably be about $4000, Ive got a guy waiting on me to have enough money. Im going to try to build one as well. 

Kane