Glorishears - non-Morris Morris tune

Continuing to fool around with Morris tunes played in a non-Morris context. Glorishears - there are at least 3 entirely different versions I know of, and probably more. I play the Bampton version for my dancers, and - to me - it's the least interesting. This is the  version I like the most, played in a very non-Morris style on a 30 button Jeffries G/D Anglo.

• Like 5

......................boy those first few bars took me back to 1976, Plain Capers, John Kirkpatrick and my youth ! 

Nicely played.....interesting basses, I really enjoyed it.

Personally I did not find it "non-morrisy" other than the tempo !

Thanks for posting, Jim.

Robin

10 minutes ago, Robin Harrison said:

......................boy those first few bars took me back to 1976, Plain Capers, John Kirkpatrick and my youth ! 

Nicely played.....interesting basses, I really enjoyed it.

Personally I did not find it "non-morrisy" other than the tempo !

Thanks for posting, Jim.

Robin

Ah, Plain Capers: how many of us learned our first Morris tunes from that CD record back in the day, and Round Pond Relics?

• Like 1

I hadn't been able to listen to Jim's "Glorishears" before I posted earlier because my computer was cutting out.  The reference to "Round Pond Relics" sent me scrambling to the keyboard, trampling decorum underfoot.  It's an enjoyable setting;  Jim's arrangements are always rewarding to hear.

2 hours ago, jwinship said:

Yes, and compared to the complexity of John Kirkpatrick's style, Tom Kruskal's arrangements on "Round Pond Relics" were so clear!  Not "deceptively clear" a la John Watcham, but clear clear.

Yes.  Tom's playing has always been a model for me, starting with Round Pond, and his playing with Jim Morrison on fiddle is exquisite.  Years ago, I digitized my vinyl copy and still listen to it. Jim and Tom - along with John Dexter and Robert Jospe - also recorded the CD "Over the Water," with much superb playing.

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

I was thinking the same thing. Certainly danceable if not morrisy.

Once I was hacking around with some oldtime tunes with a pal, and she said "you make them sound like Morris tunes."

I guess the Morris imprint is powerful indeed.

"you make them sound like Morris tunes."

I like this, Jim.

I think you could re-interpret it what she said more generally and say.........." Jim, the way you play that tune makes me want to dance".

For the music that we  love to play, this is the.......... "it's-all-been-worthwhile"......... comment.

When I lead the English Trad English session in Toronto for 15 or so years, when we had settled into the Caledonian pub, it could be quite noisy some evenings.

I was always looking around at the pub's patrons and if I saw a group  deep in conversation but unconsciously  tapping their feet, I would think............"this is working, this is why we are here " !

46 minutes ago, Robin Harrison said:

I like this, Jim.

I think you could re-interpret it what she said more generally and say.........." Jim, the way you play that tune makes me want to dance".

For the music that we  love to play, this is the.......... "it's-all-been-worthwhile"......... comment.

When I lead the English Trad English session in Toronto for 15 or so years, when we had settled into the Caledonian pub, it could be quite noisy some evenings.

I was always looking around at the pub's patrons and if I saw a group  deep in conversation but unconsciously  tapping their feet, I would think............"this is working, this is why we are here " !

Yep.

When I started playing regularly with Randy Stein, doing non-dance music, I had a hard time because there aren't dancers to watch.  I felt a little blind.