Information on B. Peat or H. Dean?

Joe G.

I have a Jeffries 30-button Bb/F from the 1890s ("C. Jeffries, maker" between the right-hand rows). On the reed pans, written in pencil, I found "B. Peat, 104 Oban Rd, Barking" and "H. Dean 23-4-46." Nothing urgent here, but I'm curious as to whether they serviced the concertina. It has few of its original reeds, though it's otherwise in pretty decent shape. Thanks in advance for any information.

1 hour ago, Joe G. said:

I have a Jeffries 30-button Bb/F from the 1890s ("C. Jeffries, maker" between the right-hand rows). On the reed pans, written in pencil, I found "B. Peat, 104 Oban Rd, Barking" and "H. Dean 23-4-46." Nothing urgent here, but I'm curious as to whether they serviced the concertina. It has few of its original reeds, though it's otherwise in pretty decent shape. Thanks in advance for any information.

I've not come across B. Peat, but here's my research on Henry Dean (i), and (ii): Henry Dean, father and son, concertina tuners, 1837-1952

• 3 weeks later...

Benjamin Joseph Peat was born in 1892 in Old Ford Road, Bow. In the 1911 census he was a labourer in a chemical works and living at 3 Oban Road.

He was still at that address in 1912, but by 1918 was at No 104 until 1922 when he moved.

He died in 1926.

• Like 1

Thanks, sadbrewer. That's the man, for sure. No information about his relationship with the concertina, but still, it's good.

Concertina.net is an amazing resource in so many ways.

The occupation and short life of Mr Peat reminds me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZwRF7yRAQ

Written by Ron Angel from Teeside back in the 1960s, but this version from David Coffin has concertina accompaniment, just to keep this thread somewhat on topic....

Edited by malcolm clapp
spelling
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 5:25 PM, Joe G. said:

Thanks, sadbrewer. That's the man, for sure. No information about his relationship with the concertina, but still, it's good.

Concertina.net is an amazing resource in so many ways.

He might just have been a skilled amateur repairer....or perhaps it was his own instrument...I signed and dated mine inside, perhaps he did the same. It would be interesting to see what his occupation was in the 1921 census though.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, malcolm clapp said:

The occupation and short life of Mr Peat reminds me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZwRF7yRAQ

Written by Ron Angel from Teeside back in the 1960s, but this version from David Coffin has concertina accompaniment, just to keep this thread somewhat on topic....

He also did a duet harmony to a TikTok post by a woman singing part of it (also posted to Instagram, which is how I saw it):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKhML2BBOnI/