Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy

8 hours ago, James Fitton said:

Lovely stuff, thanks for posting. This is such a poignant song, defiantly trying to be cheerful about a life which was mostly hard, brutish and short. Such worlds in so few words, that's the beauty of these old songs...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been a fan of the Coppers and Peter Bellamy and that very special

style of singing since 'Noah built the Ark'!

Supplementary: Are you by any chance, the same James Fitton who composed 'Rainbow Jigs'?

Edited by lachenal74693

21 hours ago, juris said:

Unfortunately I cannot trust my ears when listening to recorded music as I wear very strong hearing aids which often make music sound like it's changing keys in mid-stream. Pretty frustrating but at least with the hearing aids I can hear, if not always properly.

Forgive me if you already know this, but modern high-tech hearing aids are not designed for listening to music. They are heavily oriented towards hearing speech and to cutting out the background noise that makes it difficult to hear speech for many folks.  Your hearing aid provider may be able to give you something that will work better for music, you would have to ask them about that.  As far as the shifting key sound goes, that might be what your hearing aids are doing - shifting the frequencies it hears into frequencies that it thinks you will be able to hear better.

Have you tried a pair of good quality over-the-ear headphones instead of hearing aids when listening to recorded music?  I find that most rewarding.  I have even contemplated how I might use my cell-phone with headphones, a bit like the old fashioned hearing aids, as a way to listen to live music.

Added later:  I found that there are a number of apps on the Google Play Store that allow you to turn an Android phone into a hearing aid.  The one I tried (Ear Scout) seemed to work OK, except that there is noticable latency between the sound and the playback.  I tried it with both wired and bluetooth headphones and both had some latency, maybe a little more on the the bluetooth headphones.  Such things might work better on an iPhone as iOS has very little built-in latency for audio.  I do not have an Apple device at the moment so I cannot confirm this.

Edited by Don Taylor

I apologize for writing Cooper instead of Copper. I, for one, should be more careful as I'm often subjected to bizarre permutations of my name, written or spoken. 

Thanks for the tips about electronic enhancement of sound. I just got a new pair of hearing aids about a month ago to the tune of $5000; not the provincial government subsidized one, at the insistence of my sister. They have three music settings which I haven't experimented with yet. My hereditary hearing loss was characterized by an audiologist a couple of months ago as severe to profound sensorineural (that's a mouthful) hearing loss from 250-8000 Hz. In short, the hearing aids are my ears. When I started wearing them about twenty-five  years ago I slowly realized that I would  have to give up the guitar but found I could still hear the concertina, which I had started to play at about the same time, well.

I'm not a very plugged-in person to the point of being antediluvian, so no Bluetooth, Androids, cell phone or apps, and I discarded my record player and CD player about ten years ago.  

I only play from written music although can still figure out some music by ear but then usually write it down,; more often than not, on a scrap of paper which always seems to be misplaced when looking for it! 

I do not want to turn this forum into a complaining ground for a stale-dated hippie, so the next time a friend with a cell phone comes by I'll ask him to try to post something of me playing.

Thanks, Juris

19 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

The one I tried (Ear Scout) seemed to work OK, except that there is noticable latency between the sound and the playback.  I tried it with both wired and bluetooth headphones and both had some latency, maybe a little more on the the bluetooth headphones. 

Bluetooth audio will be a problem, for anything other than listening to recorded audio tracks. The Bluetooth standard includes a latency (delay) of 400 milliseconds, so nearly half a second. This is so that lost packets (due to interference or distance) can timeout and be retransmitted,  get sorted into order, and still make up a coherent stream. For playing an audio album this is fine, but problematic for anything where the audio should be synced with video (real or recorded). I encountered and investigated this for my MIDI concertina - https://pghardy.net/concertina/lachenal_30566_midi/lachenal_30566_midi.html.

This doesn't apply to wired connections, so I wouldn't have expected significant latency on these - I find no noticeable latency on my iPhone with wired headphones.

Supplementary: Are you by any chance, the same James Fitton who composed 'Rainbow Jigs'?

Edited Friday at 05:31 PM by lachenal74693

Yes, that was me Lachenal. There's another James Fitton (vastly more renowned than me) who's a painter, and likewise from Oldham. History doesn't record if he also played the concertina

2 hours ago, James Fitton said:

Yes, that was me Lachenal. There's another James Fitton (vastly more renowned than me) who's a painter, and likewise from Oldham. History doesn't record if he also played the concertina

Thanks! Nice piece - I must have another go at it!

The other James Fitton? He can't be that renowned because I've never heard of him...😎

My dad was from Oldham - Featherstall Road (though I don't know if Featherstall Road still exists...).