Herrington On Ebay

Chris Timson

There's a nice Herrington just turned up on eBay here. It is one of the 24 button jobbies that Harold likes to refer to as an Edgeley Special (apparently having the Buntline Special in mind). Note that the vendor is insistent that it is a G/D instrument, but it almost certainly is a C/G - I have passed that on to the vendor.

Chris

I am curious why you think it is a C/G.  He makes both.

But so far as I am aware the 24-button "Edgeley Special" - as described to me by Harold - is a C/G beast only. Things may change, of course, but here is Harold's description of the concertina as quoted by the vendor!:

On the left you have A# / C# in the C row, and F# / G# in the G row. On the right side you have C# / D# in the C row, and F# / C# in the G row

I'd say that was pretty conclusive.

Chris

Ok. Thanks for the info. Just so you know, I am sort of interested in buying this concertina...hoping it truly is a c/g. So I don't want to seem like I am challenging you on this point....

The item is relisted with button layout. Assuming the listed button layout is correct....this is a G/D, yes? I know it is probably theoretically possible to play in key of C on this...but this button layout is different than my 20 button C/G Stagi...even with the extra button...so I assume this is G/D?

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

The item is relisted with button layout.  Assuming the listed button layout is correct....this is a G/D, yes?  I know it is probably theoretically possible to play in key of C on this...but this button layout is different than my 20 button C/G Stagi...even with the extra button...so I assume this is G/D?

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Mike

According to the button lay-out on e-Bay this is a G/D.

According to the button lay-out on e-Bay this is a G/D.

Well, I can claim a sort of credit for that:-
Another twist......And a stupid error on my part.  The concertina has been re listed..as it is a G/D. The exerpt that I used was from Harolds description of a different instrument.  My apologies    Dale

So I didn't entirely cover myself with glory, but there was a reason for my error, and the vendor is clearly one of that splendid band of people who are doing their best to get it right. I hope it does well.

Here is the new listing: click me

Chris

Updated to add URL.

Edited by Chris Timson

Drats, I wish it was a c/g and I'd bid on it....it looks like a beauty and a good chance for me to upgrade to something of great quality. But as I am probably only buy 1 good concertina in my whole life, and as I am still a beginner, I think it will be a C/G I am looking for.

The button layout has me intrigued/puzzled. If I focus on the left side, my understanding is the front row is G (due to the F#9) and the back row is D(due to the C#16). So that makes the 6th button (G#11, A#13, D#18, F20) the extra button for useful accidentals.

The right side...front row is G and back row is D...same as the left side...with the accidental button in the center. For the G row on the right side, this makes sense...the F# being in the G scale.

So I am puzzled on the right-side back row. I have sort of established in my head the G row and the D row...and that the accidental button on this 24 button layout (a 20 button layout with an extra button for accidentals) in the center. So the D#30 and F32 are the accidentals...OK. So what is with the G#35 and A#37 .....I was sort of expecting those buttons to be in the key of D....and they are not. I guess I view that as inconsistent with my limited understanding of scales and the intent of this button layout.

Do I not understand the button layout...or intent of the button layout...or the scales? I was expecting a 20 button layout, with an extra button in the center for accidentals. And the right-side back row has me perplexed. Where have I gone wrong?

Mike

Drats, I wish it was a c/g and I'd bid on it....it looks like a beauty and a good chance for me to upgrade to something of great quality.  But as I am probably only buy 1 good concertina in my whole life, and as I am still a beginner, I think it will be a C/G I am looking for. 

Mike

Mike, because of your location, I would urge you of all people to wait to chose your one purchase of your life (a noble intention many of us have had, but very few of us keep) until you can attend the Northeast Squeeze-In or a similar event. Instead of putting all your money what you hope is right for you, you can try every sort of (your system of) concertina for free. Well OK, you have to pay to attend, but it is worth every cent. The modern, mid-level boxes you see on ebay will still come up for sale used after next September 18, not to mention still be available from their makers. Cheers,

Ken