Hex case question.

15 minutes ago, seanc said:

but.. I have to think that the best case option, from a practical, protective perspective is a plastic, pelican type case with @ 1-2” of closed cell foam all around. 

Not necessarily all around. Blocked in the corners (columns about an inch square the height of the interior of the case) to hold the bellows closed but staying away from the greater part of the ends, where the keys are.

blocked-hard-case.jpg

33 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Not necessarily all around. Blocked in the corners (columns about an inch square the height of the interior of the case) to hold the bellows closed but staying away from the greater part of the ends, where the keys are.

blocked-hard-case.jpg

all of the cases I have are this configuration. And while they do hold the bellows snug. None of the ones I have anything more than fabric, velvet, on the top and bottom.  All have the wonky, cosmetic case handles as well. 

they may be attractive, traditional. And also made to a price point. But, from my experience. The “lock” (as the ONLY person it will stop getting in is the owner, as he does not want to screw up the lock) latch mechanism frequently fails or gets misaligned. The handles wear easily and break off. Or the 1/32” white metal ferrules holding the handles pop out or snap. And then IME.. there is little more than a piece of fuzzy, or what used to be fuzzy, now matted to Kleenex thickness material on the top and bottom. So, when your lock that never held case’s wonky handle fails. If your lucky and your concertina does not fly out but stays in the case. There is just not much there to absorb any shock as it falls from your waist height onto the concrete.

generally, this will happen some place very public. Like a subway platform. Where all will suddenly be horrified. More as what they thought was an innocuous make up case was what actually used to be a concertina. 

finger pointing. Guffaws. Hilarity ensues. Embarrassment follows. Parts and pieces go missing.  calls to Bob Snope, Greg J, or suitable UK repair person conclude…

ymmv.

Seanc,

all springs are under constant pressure anyway, whether at the top of the keys travel where their stop is  the pad being pressed pad board, or at the bottom of their stroke then the finger presses the base of the key against the action board. At no time is the spring unloaded and the spring load will be constant. If there were some spring 'memory' at play we would be changing springs lift right and centre because the keys would loose their spring at the button's top position. As I said, it's more a case of good practise. I have no problem with a pelican case fully lined with foam, as long as the bellows are held firmly closed.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, David Barnert said:

blocked-hard-case.jpg

ups can drop a box from 3 feet on to concrete. And fedex 6 feet. And if it breaks  or is damaged in any way. There will be no claim as to insufficient packaging.

how willing would you be to drop yours in this case from 3 or 6 feet?

I recently got a 55b Crane from Greg J. Packed in a case, similar to yours, packed well with bubble wrap inside, and the packing materials between the case and the outer packing and during the trip from KY to Ma, experienced several. Issues.

any case.. or an item wrapped in a paper towel and a hefty bag… is a perfectly wonderful and “ultimate” protection, until it fails, or gets dropped. 

the real issue here. Is that we are no longer dealing with $100 instruments in $10 cases. We  are largely dealing with $2000+ especially fussy antique pieces, in what are (many times) cases that are or were $50, 20 years ago.

any case.. is like an insurance policy.. they all seem great. And even better if it costs next to nothing. All is wonderful and good. Until you get into an accident And then it all goes sideways.

2 hours ago, seanc said:

how willing would you be to drop yours in this case from 3 or 6 feet?

I recently got a 55b Crane from Greg J. Packed in a case, similar to yours...

That’s not my case. I just typed “blocked concertina case” into google images and this one popped up. It’s from Wolverton Concertinas (Jake M-M’s site). I have a Pelican case that I lined with 1/2 inch foam plus blocked the corners with more foam. And I’ve never shipped it in the 28 years I’ve had it. The only times it’s ever been distant from my house is when I’ve transported it myself (whether by car, train or plane).

'UPS can drop a box from 3 feet on to concrete. And FEDEX 6 feet. And if it breaks  or is damaged in any way. There will be no claim as to insufficient packaging.'

Seanc, interesting! where did you get this information from?

As a matter of interest I always advise my customers NOT to ship their instruments in their storage cases, but to pack them in accordance with a set of instructions that I provide.

When I ship a concertina I photograph it from every direction, ship it by UPS, have them pack it, and insure it for the appraised insurance cost. I have not have occasion to make a claim but one box had a nasty puncture that fortunately wasn't deep enough to reach the instrument. 

7 hours ago, d.elliott said:

'UPS can drop a box from 3 feet on to concrete. And FEDEX 6 feet. And if it breaks  or is damaged in any way. There will be no claim as to insufficient packaging.'

Seanc, interesting! where did you get this information from?

As a matter of interest I always advise my customers NOT to ship their instruments in their storage cases, but to pack them in accordance with a set of instructions that I provide.

Those have been the ups/ fedex rules since I started working in distribution 30yrs ago.

Ups just recently destroyed a $2000 bass guitar I sold and shipped. “Professionally” Packed by “mailboxes etc”.  The “etc” being if we pack it and it gets destroyed, we’re not responsible.

but UPS was happy to deny the claim. Open an investigation. Again deny the claim due to “inadequate packing” then proceed to ship the bass back to me in the exact same “inadequate” packing back to me in Mass. saying “it should be fine”.

i should also add.. after working in music stores. And seeing all manner of horrors due to “good” cases being dropped. Failing handles and the case drops. locks failing, and the instrument falls out of the case on to where ever they are. Has lead me to my conclusions. 

Edited by seanc

I love the description about the apparent cosmetic case appearance .. (of concertina box) as far as horrified onlookers concerned mentioned earlier on here! As long as you kept your lipstick in your pocket that's fine!😄

Has anyone considered ultimate safety such as adapting a sling type bag to carry concertina in attached over body? 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Seanc,

I have checked both websites and there is nothing showing any performance criteria for 'adequate packing', someone is keeping something very quiet aren't they. Unless they have something out in the open in their T's & C's I doubt that they would have much of an argument in a legal sense.

3 hours ago, d.elliott said:

Seanc,

I have checked both websites and there is nothing showing any performance criteria for 'adequate packing', someone is keeping something very quiet aren't they. Unless they have something out in the open in their T's & C's I doubt that they would have much of an argument in a legal sense.

many years ago. I had the official ups/ fedex statements available to send on a regular basis. But no longer. 

maybe certain industries ( in my case computer distribution and later electrical distribution) have had so many various things destroyed in transit. And dealt with so many claims that it just becomes common knowledge. 

it is not great to deal with this stuff at the business level. But companies that do a large volume have a lot more pull and options to have some resolution.  When it’s your own money. Or your own stuff that is destroyed. As an individual, when things go wrong, you have little pull and you get hosed.

Well, I have to say I have never seen such a varied selection; more a parade, or gallery, of such different looking cases! Can there ever be so much care and affection given to an instrument such as this?  Leather looking boxes, padded, veneered, soft cases, hexagonal, adapted from all sorts of uses! I think also a concertina "pram".. ( perambulator) could soon be in the offing?

😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃