Kensington concertina

Just this week I took ownership of Kensington concertina #70.

I am astounded by the quality of the build.  It's such a beautiful instrument with a lightening quick action.

I have been playing hybrid instruments for a number of years and the dynamic range of the long scale "traditional" reeds is amazing.  I am loving playing tunes that I'd not played for a while and finding nuances that I couldn't develop before.

I had the instrument shipped to Dana before it was sent on to me and he was amazing to deal with.  He gave the instrument the tuning that follows the instrument from new, made me hand rests sized for my hands and went to all the trouble of forwarding the instrument to me here in Bermuda.  What a gentleman.

I would recommend Kensington concertinas and dealing with Dana.  Obviously with any purchase of this magnitude there is trepidation but the whole process has been wonderful and I couldn't ask for more with this instrument.  It offers far more than I will ever be able to achieve!

Here's a couple of pictures and a little tune.  Hope I don't embarrass myself!

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-28 at 11.21.01 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-28 at 11.21.01 AM.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

A used Kensington was my first "real" concertina, and my experience with Dana was exactly as you described.  A first rate instrument, and a first rate human.  In my opinion, the Kensington is the best value out there for a traditionally reeded concertina.

BTW, what is the name of the tune?