Rusted steel reeds frames and tongues

5 hours ago, Clive Thorne said:

Would it be worth getting it re-reeded, or would it be best just to bin it and go straight to brass or aluminium shoes?

Clive

I think the instrument deserves a chance, so I am intending to rebuild it. All the pieces are there, if I can remove the rusted screws from the ends!

I believe some of the reeds can be saved so I intend to reuse them if possible, but I will need to find a number of replacements, brass this time! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod Pearce said:

Clive

I think the instrument deserves a chance, so I am intending to rebuild it. All the pieces are there, if I can remove the rusted screws from the ends!

I believe some of the reeds can be saved so I intend to reuse them if possible, but I will need to find a number of replacements, brass this time! 

I didn't mean bin the whole instrument, just the reeds, - but I can see how my post wasn't clear on that.

• 1 year later...

Hi...

I'd like to share my experience with the rust remover "Evapo Rust"

I bought one EC with declared rusted reeds

I red in this thread about Evapo Rust and I decided to try the restoration

They weren't as the reeds in Rod's Anglo but They weren't in good condiction

The first picture is as the reeds were

I put them in the bath of Evaspo Rust and moments later the reaction begins. After 24h the reeds are covered by a "rusty layer"(photo 2)

I took them out and I washed them with water (photo 3 on the top)

I use a brush of brass to remove the coat and they begun shining but very dark (photo 3 in the middle)

I was disappointed because I thought that, after the "scrub", the original metal had to appear...

The rusty there wasn't, the reeds "sing" without problem but I have a "ghot" reed pan

But this evening I had a hunch... I got some steel wool (0000) and I scratched the reeds

They become shining with the shoes of brass in perfect condiction! (photo 3 at the bottom)

The steel of the tongue remains "dark"IMG_2952.thumb.jpeg.2a983d955af1746a051825c4b2fbe933.jpeg6818039D-84D3-49A1-A149-83D4FFFE58A7.thumb.jpeg.5e134f0ec67571273530349f2b7d905f.jpeg.eda7b9e55b931d8aedcddbd25f102baa.jpeg

Now I begin with the next steps of the restoration 🙂

I hope that my experience can be helpful

Eddy

IMG_2954.thumb.jpeg.0371fc483d289bd3924a8bd047fa77c9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1