If You Could Design Your Own Concertina Case...

What would your ideal concertina case be like? I ask because I'm just about to build one (a little hobby of mine), and rather than just a wooden box with no real padding (the norm from what I've seen), I want it to be nice, with proper padding, room for accessories, plenty of strength, and maybe even some way to carry some sheet music (yes, I know most of you don't use the stuff). I'm just brainstorming here, and would appreciate your input. Removable lid? Shoulder strap? Locking latches?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built myself a case to carry 4 anglos, with extra compartements for microphones, leads, toolkit etc. Made it out of nice superior strength plywood, with a sliding front designed to eliminate rain etc. Finished it with several coats of varnish and mounted metal corners for robustness.

It's too heavy to take anywhere further than 20 yards from the car!!

Robin Madge

Jeff:

Ideally (I have no idea how this would really work in the real world) I'd have a smallish hard-shell case about the size of a trumpet case. I prefer the look of a leather-covered case (or at least nylon), and that would allow you to use a cheaper grade of lumber as well....I'd also like some metal corner caps as well.

I would NOT have a removable top! I'd drop or lose it! A strong piano hinge and a releasable prop to keep it open would be nice touches.

I'd like 3 handles: at the opening horizontal side, at one of the narrow ends, and a removable shoulder strap w/ a pad, like a guitar strap.

The interior would have a formed interior covered in a soft, non-abrasive material. Behind this would be some kind of shock-absorptive material...I've considered the spray-in foam we use to pack appliances in the warehouse here...

On the interior, I'd like a space for my strap...a small rectangle cut from the foam, perhaps. Sheet music would reside in a zippered pocket on the exterior.

There's my 2 cents...

edited to add that toolbox - style catches would be nice, with a loop for a padlock if needed.

Edited by RELCOLLECT

I made a box as light as possible and as small as possible.

My fist attempt was an octagonal box out of mahogany, but it weighed more than the instrument, and it caused the instrument to stand on its end with resultant valve issues.

My next and final attempt is cubic, pine framed to clamp the bellows, with enough room to not compress thumb straps. Covered in 5mm pine sheet with the lid parted by sawing so as to maintain alignments and grain patterns. I can get into the case, besides the instrument, a pencil, credit card sized metronome and a small screwdriver in a soft pouch. nothing else. The case is strong, very light, it clamps the instrument and there is no room for it to slop about inside and take any shock or wear damage that a loose fit might occaision.

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

>I prefer the look of a leather-covered case

Yeah, I made leather (dark red) mandolin case, and I really like the way it looks. The problem is that it was a failure functionally, so I never use it. :) What I'll probably do this time is aluminum extrusions (like a flight case, just not QUITE so robust) with colored panels. Or...maybe leather-covered panels WITH the aluminum extrusions! Hmm..... Weight might be a problem, and leather isn't cheap, but damn that would look good.

>I'd like 3 handles: at the opening horizontal side, at one of the narrow ends, >and a removable shoulder strap w/ a pad, like a guitar strap.

I get the long end handle and the shoulder strap, but how would the narrow end handle be used?

Thanks for the comments; you gave me some ideas.

I modified an ATA case and lined with foam. The 1" thick foam top and bottom holds the concertina tight during transit. I think the shoulder strap would be a nice addition. The thing is bomproof (useful when you play like me) but it is heavy for long trips

I hope the picture worked!

I've done 'hard' (sturdy-object) crochet around brass hoops and made tubular-type holders -- they are NOT good as concertina cases for serious transporation, but I really prefer the crocheted holders (my avatar pic is one, plus I have more pics at my site) for just moving around the house, etc..

Also, I can make it as artsy as I wish. Though, I guess you could paint all over a hard-shell case, too.

One nice point about using my own type of holder -- a week or so ago, I had my concertina on the back seat of the car, in the holder. It was sideways, so you'd think that it would roll off the seat, but it actually was very snug, and hugged the seat. Hugged it more than my standard, hard-type of concertina case, even -- when I had to make a quick and unexpected stop (can't remember why, but, I did...), my regular case went flying off the seat, but my concertina and the holder it was in both stayed in place!

Hmm....

I think if I were designing a hard case, I would in fact want something with rounded corners. Like a big oatmeal can with straps....only, not an oatmeal can... :blink:

I get the long end handle and the shoulder strap, but how would the narrow end handle be used?

I have a vintage suitcase built like that, and find it useful now and then. Imagine you need to stash the case in a space too narrow for the long axis...you slide it in on the upright (instrument) position, and use the handle to manuever the case...

Not neccesary, but sometimes useful.

Well, I'd like mine big enough to hold my concertina, my music, my music stand, and a water bottle, with a handle, a shoulder strap, and backpack straps, padded with a hardshell case, small enough to fit behind the driver's seat of my car, and light as a feather, please! ^_^

That would be my ideal! But seriously, I'm in awe of all of you who are able to conceive an idea and build beautiful cases- just listening to your contributions makes my head spin, but the results sound fantastic!

post-82-1117022858_thumb.jpgHere's one I made earlyer from ash with hardwood dowels for added strength. It has bits inside to keep the bellows together and I found some sticky-back felt to line the inside. Note the catches round the side rather than the usual place to avoid the odd angle.

That's an attractive case! I was thinking square, as it allows for sheet music storage, but I really like the size and shape of that! I currently use a soft bage, and keep my small stash of supplies ( neckstrap, etc ) in an old Crown Royal bag...

The problem with the soft bags is the damage issue if dropped. I think that was discussed in another topic, not sure where. I have similar case to the hexagonal one in the picture that was bought from a shop in Ireland by the previous concertina owner I believe. It works pretty well but I had to put some foam strips in to hold the instrument tight.

I like Peters case as well. Traditional with the strap/handle so that the instrument is not left on end.

I recently got at rigid case for my banjo which is constructed out of cash helmet liner and covered in nlyon. It is carved out perfectly to fit my instrument and lined in black velvet with compartments for tools, picks, strings and has a large outside compartment I can fit its stand in. The topper is back pack straps so I can hoist is on my back out of the way. The whole think is very light. Life is much better now dealing with a banjo and concertina at the same time.

What I would like is a shoulder strap for the concertina case liner so I would have two hands free.

Louise Lundberg made this for me (well, actually for my concertina) to our mutually agreed specifications(!):

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/concertina/pict..._concertina.jpg

It's wood covered with leather outside, and padded suede inside. It also has 4 metal "feet" on the end you can't see, so that I can turn it on its end and sit on it to play.

case_concertina.jpg

It's wood covered with leather outside, and padded suede inside. It also has 4 metal "feet" on the end you can't see, so that I can turn it on its end and sit on it to play.

I've been waiting and hoping RF would put up such a picture. I think it demonstrates an important point... that a nifty-looking polygonal case (ocatagonal in this case, hexagonal in Louise' original for her own concertina) need not stand on end and need not open at the end. (And it can be built with room for other things.) Such a case is not only built to store the instrument in the proper horizontal position, it allows the instrument to be lifted out, rather than pulled out. (And the two compartments are separately accessible.) A serious problem with the old hexagonal cases is that if something snags on the inner end, there's no way to reach in a free it. I'm sure this has resulted in more than one torn bellows over the years.

Peter Stephenson's (pictured above in this Topic) looks similar, but the significance of these features is less obvious, because it's shown closed, not open.

Edited by JimLucas