Jump to content

Interesting Edeophone at auction!?


conzertino
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know very little about Jeffries Duets, but that would be my first guess, too. The pictured price list includes a 58-key Duet, and this one has 58 keys. I know of no other duet system with curved rows like an anglo. Someone with more familiarity with Jeffries Duets should be able to say whether the chord diagrams in the pictured open notebook make sense on a Jeffries Duet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree. It looks like a Jeffries Duet.

I asked the auction house whether the concertina played a different note on each button when pushing & pulling the bellows and was told by someone there 'I would say a different note'. Perhaps a little inconclusive, so is it an anglo? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

I know very little about Jeffries Duets, but that would be my first guess, too. The pictured price list includes a 58-key Duet, and this one has 58 keys. I know of no other duet system with curved rows like an anglo. Someone with more familiarity with Jeffries Duets should be able to say whether the chord diagrams in the pictured open notebook make sense on a Jeffries Duet.

I've just counted the buttons and it's a 51 button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

this one has 58 keys.

 

49 minutes ago, frankdownes said:

I've just counted the buttons and it's a 51 button.

 

You’re right. I just counted, too. I was going by the description at the head of the web page:

AN EARLY 20THC LACHENAL & CO 58 KEY CONCERTINA  CASED WITH PAPERWORK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peter Smith said:

I agree. It looks like a Jeffries Duet.

I asked the auction house whether the concertina played a different note on each button when pushing & pulling the bellows and was told by someone there 'I would say a different note'. Perhaps a little inconclusive, so is it an anglo? 

 

I have a set of ends from a 44 button purportedly anglo that fit right over my 50 button Jeff duet including the aforementioned thumb keys.  I think we need the push pull info to be sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beg pardon Gary but the home made chord book may not match the instrument.  I have one myself from my Wheatstone JD and it doesn't match up. The one in the photos doesn't match the instrument either.  Seller is claiming a 58 button JD.  the photos show 53 buttons.  The book looks to be for a 50 button +air, not a bespoke item.  It sure looks like a JD but we'll see..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not too lofty for a certain JD player in Honolulu - this rarity gets to go to Hawaii! 

 

It will also be making the trip to Texas for the Old Palestine concertina weekend on March 25-26 if anyone wants to see it up close and play it.

 

Excited too about that Jeffries price list, but I'm thinking maybe it should end up somewhere like the Horniman Museum?

 

 

Gary

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...