Jeffries brothers price list

David Helmore

17 hours ago, gcoover said:

And here's a scan of the Jeffries Bros. price list. For all you graphics nerds out there, Solotype calls the font "Huntsman".

This Lachenal Edeophone Jeffries Duet is numbered 4764, 8.5" across the flats, home key of Ab, and to date is the only one known to have been made by Lachenal. 

In addition to a 4-page Lachenal price list (no date), the leather case also had a separately typed Lachenal bargain sheet - "instruments are slightly shop soiled only".

Gary

Jeffries-Pricelist-front-1.jpg

Lachenal-Pricelist-Bargains-1.jpg

Hi, Gary--

Can you scan and share the 4-page Lachenal pricelist too?

Daniel

Thanks, Wes, the price lists are exactly the same except the one I have has a little pasted-on typed note on the Anglo page, in the same bluish-green color as the Bargain page, saying "All 20 &26 keyed Anglo Models are only obtainable direct from Lachenal & Co."

Regarding the Jeffries Bros. price list, I find it odd that the 46-button Anglos and Duets are different prices (duet more expensive), but the 50-button Anglos and Duets are the same price. Not sure what the difference would be unless maybe they had to specially make new ends for the 46-button duet but used the same ends for both 50-button instruments?

Surprising to see there are no 30-button Jeffries Anglos on this price list.

And, except for the price of the 32-button Anglo being 7-0, what's with the matching pound/shilling prices on everything else: 8-8, 10-10, 12-12, 13-13, 16-16, 17-17, 18-18? One can only hope it is previously undiscovered evidence that the Bro's were into mystical kabbalistic numerology!

Gary

Edited by gcoover

1 hour ago, gcoover said:

And, except for the price of the 32-button Anglo being 7-0, what's with the matching pound/shilling prices on everything else: 8-8, 10-10, 12-12, 13-13, 16-16, 17-17, 18-18?

Gary

An antiquated unit of British currency called a "guinea", each worth 21 shillings. Although the actual coin fell out of use well before the date of the price list in question, the guinea value was still used well into the C20th by sellers of luxury items and by professional bodies such as doctors and lawyers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_(coin)

No idea why it wasn't applied to the 32 key model on the price list. Maybe there was legislation enacted to limit its use only to prices above a certain level, but could equally have been just a printing error  🙂  Dunno.

On 2/26/2022 at 1:44 AM, gcoover said:

Surprising to see there are no 30-button Jeffries Anglos on this price list.

Gary

It's because they count both thumb buttons Gary = 30 buttons + 2 thumbs. I've personally never seen a Jeffries without a LH thumb button, although I'm sure somebody will correct me 🙂

Glad to hear your collection is expanding on all fronts 🙂

Cheers,

Adrian

19 hours ago, adrian brown said:

I've personally never seen a Jeffries without a LH thumb button, although I'm sure somebody will correct me 🙂

Sorry Adrian! 

I've had three 26 button (plus air) Jeffries of various keys through my hands and they don't have the LH thumb button.  I've had one 28 key C/G Jeffries and that had an air button and a LH thumb button making 30 buttons in total - but that was a C Jeffries rather than a Jeffries Bros.

Alex West

5 hours ago, Alex West said:

Sorry Adrian! 

I've had three 26 button (plus air) Jeffries of various keys through my hands and they don't have the LH thumb button.  I've had one 28 key C/G Jeffries and that had an air button and a LH thumb button making 30 buttons in total - but that was a C Jeffries rather than a Jeffries Bros.

Alex West

I knew it Alex! Thanks for correcting me. I still think the 32 keys referred to in this price list includes an air button and a LH thumb button, since the 39 keys is the 38 + air model that is also pretty common. Not sure about the bigger Anglos and duets, but it seems reasonable to assume you would include the air button in the count for all models, if you did for the smaller concertinas?

Thanks again,

Adrian