Almost Went Over To The Dark Side...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a number of players who are equally adept on both types of instrument. One in particular who springs to mind is Keith Kendrick (in the UK). I guess the US equivalent would be John Roberts.

So you play both?

No, I don't..I play English (Badly). The original post was regarding "New" versus "Vintage" instruments. I really don't even have a preference between Anglo and English...I've heard players who sounded wonderful on either one. I personally find concertina to be one of the most challenging, least intuitive instruments I've ever played!

Which one do you naturally gravitate to on a quiet night?

The night would no longer be quiet..evidently. I tried that very thing a few evenings ago. Everyone asleep but me...just a little tune. Got a thump on the upstairs floorboards for my trouble :( . Wasn't a friendly thump either.

Although I can play by ear, so can play a tune on either, I mostly play different traditions on different instruments. Anglo concertina for trad English, Morris and Irish, and English concertina for Northumbrian and Scottish.

So on a quiet night, it depends on what tune is going though my head as to which box gets picked up. Whichever I play, the cat runs away and I am in trouble for making a noise.

So you play both?

I personally find concertina to be one of the most challenging, least intuitive instruments I've ever played!

Greg, have you tried the anglo system? Perhaps the dark side is for you. I don't know how many others who tried both systems knew right away which was "right" from the moment they ran their fingers across the buttons (Geoff and several others notwithstanding).

I played and enjoyed the AC system for years, but on being handed an EC I knew I was home. Never looked back and progressed quickly. I stand in slack-jawed wonderment of those who play the ever lovin' bejeezus out of an AC because for me it was always just about the least intuitive instrument I had ever played!

I can't believe I'm suggesting this (forgive me lord), but maybe you should just give an AC a honk er' two. I'm lighting that $3 dollar candle for myself today :( !

Mark:

I've played several instruments, but the scales were always linear (e.g. recorder);what throws me is the back-and forth between hands. I didn't care for the 2 tones per button system of Anglo...I was a miserable failure at harmonica, too, though. :(

Really, I think it's more a matter of impatience and lack of practice time combining to discourage me. I'm 2/3 through the Jackie tutor, and already looking for the next manual. If anyone has recommendations for a book that teaches basic chords for English, please let me know!

The Alistair Anderson book was the best of the one I tried. It's out of print but copies can still be obtained, I believe. He gives you the basics for chording but I think that it is really a question of working out the possiblities on paper and trying them out. It becomes second nature after a while.

2/3rds through the tutor? Yer almost home! We won't loose you to the dark side.

Cancel the candle, I forgive myself for the suggestion/transgression.

Other than being shown a D major scale, I was on my own. Just listened to tunes I liked and knocked them out on the instrument and eventually started grabbing at chords. I'm sure I wasted a lot of time, but with rolling papers and smoking material it seemed like time well spent :blink: .

Tunes learned durning that period are well ingrained...but I can't remember most of their names :( .

I've never played an instrument that was able to make chords...I was terrible at piano, and sold my guitar for the betterment of mankind...so I'm looking for a book as a roadmap. It's very frustrating right now, as I just got Sarah Graves' CD "Black Boxes" and I want to play that sort of thing!

The Alistair Anderson book was the best of the one I tried.  It's out of print but copies can still be obtained, I believe.

A good tutor. However, if you come across Alistair in a workshop now, you may find some advice given which does not exactly match that in the book. The reason is that, even an advanced player like Alistair has found his playing has moved on in the years in between, and some (but not all) of the advice he gave then will have changed to some extent.

- John Wild