Orange in bloom left side?

cbuja

sorry in advance if my terminology is incorrect. i recently got a 30 button cg anglo and have been wanting to learn this song 

ive gotten the right side down but the left side is a struggle. i was wondering if there was a tabs sheet or tips anyone could give about adding accompaniment with the melody? 

• Like 1

Perhaps this might help a little, but it will probably change a lot of what you are doing on the right. It's best to try to arrange with both hands at once since you might not have the harmony notes you need in the same direction, and that's especially true of keys like F.

Attached is a C/G 30-button transcription of Luke's playing on a C/G 38-button Jeffries in the key of F, which he adapted from the wonderful playing of Adrian Brown who originally played it on a Bb/F Jeffries. Posted here with Luke's blessing (thanks, Luke!).

The lack of a high D on the pull is one of the more frustrating things about the 30-button Anglo, so the workaround in measure 14 is a bit awkward but hopefully not that noticeable. I suppose you could put that nice Bb bass note on the first beat by playing the pull D on the right an octave lower on button #2. Either way is a compromise, with luck you'll discover something else that works even better.

This is a difficult arrangement, beautifully played by Luke (and Adrian), and well worth learning!

Gary

Orange-in-Bloom-F-ANGLO.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 3

Thank you so much, Gary (and Adrian)! I get a couple requests for a transcription every month, so I hope you won't mind me linking them to this post :)

F is such a great key on concertina. You can play Orange in Bloom in G on your 30b instrument and have all the notes in the right directions, but I prefer the mellower sound of F. Especially on my hybrid, whose highest notes could be used as a coyote deterrent...

If the original poster @cbuja is interested in the tune with a workable accompaniment, but not necessarily Adrian’s/Luke’s distinctive arrangement, note that it is often played in G with no more ambitious chords than G, C, and D, starting with a C chord on the first downbeat (the 2nd note, just as Luke does with a Bb chord in F).

I play it this way with my Morris Dancers all the time (pre-pandemic, anyway). I don’t play Anglo, though, so I can’t provide tablature.

Edited by David Barnert
finally figured out how to properly tag in this forum

On 2/13/2022 at 6:27 PM, gcoover said:

Perhaps this might help a little, but it will probably change a lot of what you are doing on the right. It's best to try to arrange with both hands at once since you might not have the harmony notes you need in the same direction, and that's especially true of keys like F.

Attached is a C/G 30-button transcription of Luke's playing on a C/G 38-button Jeffries in the key of F, which he adapted from the wonderful playing of Adrian Brown who originally played it on a Bb/F Jeffries. Posted here with Luke's blessing (thanks, Luke!).

The lack of a high D on the pull is one of the more frustrating things about the 30-button Anglo, so the workaround in measure 14 is a bit awkward but hopefully not that noticeable. I suppose you could put that nice Bb bass note on the first beat by playing the pull D on the right an octave lower on button #2. Either way is a compromise, with luck you'll discover something else that works even better.

This is a difficult arrangement, beautifully played by Luke (and Adrian), and well worth learning!

Gary

Orange-in-Bloom-F-ANGLO.pdf 55.73 kB · 17 downloads

wow! thank you guys so much! ive been going through your easy anglo 123 book and am a really big fan of lukes playing. 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Adavis said:

I can't seem to access the pdf. Is it available somewhere else? I too am trying to learn this tune and have successfully figured out the righthand but am struggling with the left hand chords. Thank you!

I had no trouble accessing the pdf just now, so I converted it to a jpeg. Here it is.

Orange-in-Bloom-F-ANGLO.thumb.jpg.cfd28901d60563065f2d0f74f05a441c.jpg

• Thanks 1

One quick note on playing this tune, which applies to many tunes in F on the C/G - you'll need to grab as much air as possible at the same time as playing the few push notes, in this case while playing the C chord.

If your instrument has problems with the long passages on the pull, you can try substituting a push Am. (I see some of the Am chord symbols are a bit out of whack, but you should be able to sort it out fairly easily on your own.)

Gary

• Like 2

I had missed this thread until today, so thought I should pipe in. I re-recorded this just over a year ago for my daughter's birthday with a somewhat more free arrangement on a CG anglo:

I took a lot of liberties with the dotted rhythm and went a bit wild in the slows. (It's what happens if you are not playing for dancers...) However, if there is any interest I will try to notate the c sections for posterity (which Gary wisely chose to ignore...), but I'm not entirely sure it would be possible on a 30 button.

Adrian

• Like 5

5 hours ago, adrian brown said:

I had missed this thread until today, so thought I should pipe in. I re-recorded this just over a year ago for my daughter's birthday with a somewhat more free arrangement on a CG anglo:

I took a lot of liberties with the dotted rhythm and went a bit wild in the slows. (It's what happens if you are not playing for dancers...) However, if there is any interest I will try to notate the c sections for posterity (which Gary wisely chose to ignore...), but I'm not entirely sure it would be possible on a 30 button.

Wonderful version of my favorite Morris tune.  What I love about it -there are so many different ways to play it.

8 hours ago, adrian brown said:

I love your more musical arrangements of Morris tunes. Having a somewhat unfocused mind, finding Berkeley Morris right after picking up a concertina for the first time was probably the best thing that could've happened to keep me regularly playing. But playing for Morris has instilled some habits and reflexes I'm now finding it hard to move past (though I'm Lead Muso as of recently, and things will be different now, by gum). Listening to your music has been invaluable, introducing me to new phrasing and techniques within the comforting frameworks of familiar tunes. Alas, I'm still waiting for an instrument with more buttons.

Side note, I've always been a bit embarrassed that my worse recording of your original is my most-watched video. I'm constantly telling people to go watch yours!

Thanks a lot Luke, I haven't played for a morris team for years, but I do love to mess around with them. As you say, they are a great framework and since most of them had a previous life before they became dance tunes, I feel justified taking this approach.  if you're interested, it's really worth examining Sharp's piano arrangements to work out what he suggests harmonically - it'll give you loads of ideas 🙂

Cheers,

Adrian 

• Like 1