Letting the music go into the ether and fade away!

Whatever does he mean? I am sure you may think.. Let the music go into the ether, and then fade away?

Well, it's not as drastic an idea for topic as it may at first sound; what I mean to say is that in a world where everything is recorded constantly, documented, heard, seen, known of, viewed, whether internet, or many other numerous ways theses days; is there still that time when you can still sit down, play a tune, and then let that sound finish and go into the ether, and fade away, without being seen or heard of ever again?  In the same way you may sit and listen to the wind billowing in tree and rustling leaves, on an autumnal day, that only you heard at that moment [music for your own ears]. 

I think people often can forget the merits of the moment in musical things; whereby we can let that melody live for that moment alone and allow it to disperse [fade away].

How do you all think about this? Do you still enjoy that time to let go and make musical sounds for the sake of it [not be tempted to record or document it]?

Then to never hear that melody ever again? A momentary thing instead. 

• Like 1

Our experience is a series of moments.  However it seems likely to me that we are also living within an expanding moment of creation ( not necessarily in a religious sense ) of which our best concertina twiddlings are incomplete fragments of an eternal whole.

Thanks for adding to my topic [which was kindly moved by Mr. Schwartz] 'cause I put it into wrong section originally! [that's another story!].. Yes I was twiddling around today in my back room, improvising, as I often do; no recording, no video camera, all I did to broadcast was to open my window, despite cold breezy day, and let out the sound; maybe someone heard it? Who knows? Maybe only my Blackbird, which resides in my garden heard it? well they say they broadcast via wireless to universe; so you never know who may hear such things? The more you consider it; then the more your mind gets tangled. Just carry on playing the tunes I say [ and don't worry about too much.

Afterthought; I wonder of anyone has ever played concertina in outer-space? There's another topic for future, maybe?

Just today, I "Liked" a posting in a banjo forum in which someone said it annoyed him when people speak of printed scores as "music." Music, he pointed out, is sounds in the air, not dots on paper.

I personally would go even farther and claim that music isn't bytes on a data storage medium, either!

OK, what comes out of a loudspeaker or headphones is sounds in air. But they are not the sounds that a musician has produced on his or her instrument. Recordings are perhaps analogous to photographs. They can give you a pretty good impression of the original, but it's always the same impression. It's the impression of how the model looked while interacting with the photographer, or how the music sounded when the musician was interacting with the sound engineer.

That's the difference between the art forms of painting and music: a painting is varnished on leaving the studio,  and remains unchanged, no matter who looks at it; whereas a piece of music has to be performed over and over again, and the audience present at each concert can affect the interpretation of it.

So, yes, for me, music is a volatile art form. But a song - even a phrase of a song - doesn't die. If someone hears it, well knowing that they will not hear it quite like that again, it will live on in his or her memory.

Cheers,

John

11 hours ago, wunks said:

Painting is varnished.  Music is vanished, a more durable form of preservation

Think about it: we can enjoy Renaissance art, Celtic sculpture, even Stone-age cave painting.

But we have no idea what an improvisation by J.S. Bach on the organ or by W.A. Mozart on the piano sounded like. Knowledge of these musics - and many others as well - were lost at the death of the last person to hear them.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about not really knowing what composers own physical interpretation of their music would actually be like ( prior to recording invention).. we can know at least that through writing that music down, there is at the least some form of the sound world relived again when it is played again by others in future.

Someone sitting at a keyboard, for example, will very much use the same key positions that composer used themselves, and possibly similar fingers also. Tracing in a ghostlike manner in the imagined hands for the present session a sense of the past