Wheatstone Factory Photo

I hope this does not offend anyone’s copyright; I was fascinated to see a factory photo in the interview with Bob Minting shown as part of the Feb 6th celebration. I can see a small table saw on the right with a spindle moulder beside it. A little further along is a person working on what may be action though it also could be a reed pan machine. A long line up of fly presses is on the left and what a fantastic set of different shaped castings the frames of them have. Back right could be the surface grinder. What else can people identify? 

Are there any more photos like this..? Can anyone date and locate this one? Who has this one and is a better resolution image of it possible?

E52ABB27-42D1-4CC8-B9E0-2F1053D7C0D1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone date and locate this one?

I've seen this photo before (probably at Harry Minting's house), and seem to recall that it's from when C. Wheatstone & Co. Ltd., Manufacturers of Concertinas - Music Publishers, were at 3, Ives Street, Draycott Avenue, London, S.W.3, from 1956-9. (I have a letter, on Wheatstone's headed paper, dated 19th February 1958 from Harry Minting, to concertina-teacher A. M. Ross, in Bearsden, Dunbartonshire). 

Edited by Stephen Chambers
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

I've seen this photo before (probably at Harry Minting's), and seem to recall that it's from when C. Wheatstone & Co. Ltd., Manufacturers of Concertinas - Music Publishers, were at 3, Ives Street, Draycott Avenue, London, S.W.3

Looking to verify the location, I've now found a photo of the exterior of 3, Ives Street in 1971 when it had become the offices of the Mary Quant Ltd. fashion house, and you can see the same folding doors, with four panes of glass, that are in the Wheatstone factory photo.

I'll post a link to it, because of Getty Images' copyright:

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/the-offices-of-the-mary-quant-ltd-fashion-house-at-3-ives-news-photo/1129106861

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I notice what appears to be a time card clock on the back wall--probably the old mechanical kinds where you insert your card and then push down on a brass lever to punch in or out.

I wonder how many modern concertina makers wear dress shirts and neckties as they work. I suspect that the number is zero.

1 hour ago, Mike Franch said:

I wonder how many modern concertina makers wear dress shirts and neckties as they work. I suspect that the number is zero.

I believe Bob Tedrow might defy that zero, Mike.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/homewood-musical-instrument-co-homewood

• Like 2

Greg and David, you are absolutely correct. I had forgotten about him. I'm sure he also uses a pocket watch (as I do). And as I recall, he drives (or used to drive) a Model A Ford.

Given the relatively small number of current concertina makers, the "one"  represents is a fairly large percentage!

Edited by Mike Franch
eliminated an extra word

I saw a print of this photo some time ago - Geoff Crabb had it. 

I did not look at it that closely though. I don't think all of that equipment was present by the time Steve Dickinson took over the business, or maybe he got rid of some of it due to duplicate items intended for multiple workers, there seem to be at least two table saws and.... 5 fly presses, gosh that would be like being in heaven, no need to keep changing tools so much.

Interestingly the metal trays in the foreground on the left I think he still uses! It looks exactly like the one which slides under his press to catch the parts as they are pressed out.

Also I count 9 workers, and that really is the big deal here - I don't know of a modern concertina making business which would employ that many staff, that really is something we have lost.

Edited by Jake Middleton-Metcalfe
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 3:47 AM, Chris Ghent said:

I was fascinated to see a factory photo in the interview with Bob Minting shown as part of the Feb 6th celebration. I can see a small table saw on the right with a spindle moulder beside it. A little further along is a person working on what may be action though it also could be a reed pan machine. A long line up of fly presses is on the left and what a fantastic set of different shaped castings the frames of them have. Back right could be the surface grinder. What else can people identify? 

Are there any more photos like this..? 

E52ABB27-42D1-4CC8-B9E0-2F1053D7C0D1.jpeg

Of course, some of the machinery, and the workers, can be seen in action in the 1961 Concertina Factory newsreel.

Jake, I think I read in a description of Lachenal’s factory, no idea where I saw it or in which period, that they had a row of 17 fly presses.  This was part of a reference to a person who had worked for them for a long time as a fly press operator.  He would have had one big arm!

12 hours ago, Chris Ghent said:

Jake, I think I read in a description of Lachenal’s factory, no idea where I saw it or in which period, that they had a row of 17 fly presses.  This was part of a reference to a person who had worked for them for a long time as a fly press operator.  He would have had one big arm!

17, that is interesting. I did a study of lachenal reed designs a few years ago - the set I studied had 17 sizes.