Stagi to Rochelle 2 to Clover or Stagi to Clover?

Parker135

I have had the good fortune to begin (Irish Trad) concertina lessons on a Stagi loaner.  I'm having a lot of fun and I think it's going to take.  With Button Box closing shop, it appears that my best prospect for an upper mid-range concertina is a Clover.  Is the Rochelle 2 a significant enough jump above the Stagi to justify its purchase, with the idea of trading it in for credit toward the Clover or just go ahead and make the leap to the Clover?  If the Rochelle 2 is a significant jump in quality from the Stagi, it seems like it would be a safe way to proceed, but if there is little difference I might as well stick with the Stagi for a while yet and then move to the Clover.  Thanks for any advice.

1 hour ago, Bob Tedrow said:

I handle Rochelle. Richelle2, Minstral, and Clover in my shop. 

Clover hands down. Every bit the equivalent of my better efforts at concertina building. 

Bob

So if I'm pretty sure I'm likely to land on a Clover, just do it, as they say.  Thanks Bob

Good choice ! Going to Rochelle = Buying a Clover soon after 😉

I recently got a Clover and I like it a lot: Lightweight, fast player, loud, a sound with a touch.

My only complaint is the leather straps are super stiff ! (Never seen that). The result is that the air button is a little hard to reach...(got big hand). But something that can be changed. 

Nicolas

Edited by papawemba

Go for Clover!

I started with Minstrel with upgraded bellows four years ago, which is quite close to Clover and I feel no need to let it go.

I bought Rochelle 2 last year. It is a good beginner instrument but would not recommend to anyone who is looking for an upgrade.

If you are going to purchase one from Button Box, Ceílí would be another good option, as new orders for Morse Brand concertinas will be closing with the Button Box!

Totani

P.S. I don’t know why, but email response from Concertina Connection (Wim Wakker

) is quite slow these days. I have not got reply from Wim for months. You may have to be patient.

Edited by gtotani

1 hour ago, gtotani said:

P.S. I don’t know why, but email response from Concertina Connection (Wim Walker) is quite slow these days. I have not got reply from Wim for months. You may have to be patient.

Hi Totani,

I've been getting email replies from William at Concertina Connection within a couple of days.  I guess maybe that's Wim?  So far he's been very responsive and helpful.

Parker

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parker135 said:

Hi Totani,

I've been getting email replies from William at Concertina Connection within a couple of days.  I guess maybe that's Wim?  So far he's been very responsive and helpful.

Parker

Good to hear that William Wakker is fine. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I might loop back to this discussion to say that I decided to slow down a little and order the Rochelle 2 from Concertina Connection.  I just wasn't certain enough to make the leap all the way to the Clover, and with their trade-in program it seemed like the prudent way to proceed.  I've had the R2 for a little over a week now and I've been playing the wheels off it.  It had one reed that was a little high and allowing a bit of air to pass through before sounding, and Wim talked me through the process of bending it down a little to match the others.  It was quite easy to do, and it plays perfectly now.  His customer support has been great, including some interesting emails about the inner workings of the concertina.  Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Parker

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

And now, an update, just because.  Yesterday, I received my custom Clover done up in English walnut, and it's a beauty.  I was able to trade the R2 in for a full refund toward the purchase price, which really worked to my advantage in spreading out the investment.  I enjoyed the R2 and could have continued with it for a long time, but I was eager to trade up after getting a chance to try a Wakker concertina.  Compared to the Rochelle 2, the Clover is so much more responsive.  The bellows are less stiff, right out of the box, and the nicely capped buttons are easier on the fingers.  The tone is wonderful.  Air control is easier as well.  

Some folks suggested I go straight for the Clover, but the R2 proved to be the perfect stepping stone for me.  Concertina Connection was great all along the way.

Clover.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, Parker135 said:

And now, an update, just because.  Yesterday, I received my custom Clover done up in English walnut, and it's a beauty.  I was able to trade the R2 in for a full refund toward the purchase price, which really worked to my advantage in spreading out the investment.  I enjoyed the R2 and could have continued with it for a long time, but I was eager to trade up after getting a chance to try a Wakker concertina.  Compared to the Rochelle 2, the Clover is so much more responsive.  The bellows are less stiff, right out of the box, and the nicely capped buttons are easier on the fingers.  The tone is wonderful.  Air control is easier as well.  

Some folks suggested I go straight for the Clover, but the R2 proved to be the perfect stepping stone for me.  Concertina Connection was great all along the way.

Clover.jpg

Congratulations, Parker135!

Your Clover is truely a piece of art and it will keep you entertained for years to come!

Totani