Case for Maccann Duet?

Hi there,

Thought I'd reach out to the brain trust, and I hope I in fact chose the best forum section to post this in.

I have a 72-key Maccann Duet whose case appears to be original (96 years old) and in any ... case ... not up to snuff.  I've reached out to a few different conch retailers on both sides of the Pond over the past two or three years.  Those have led me to some individuals who, it turns out, no longer make custom cases themselves.  I'm wondering if perhaps someone here has any direction they might point me in for a new custom case.

I have had some suggestions, most constructively (sorry) for a Pelican or Pelican-style hardshell case.  This would have been a winner (and I am actually using one currently), but the problem is that the case with the smallest acceptable dimensions still takes up well over double - almost triple - of the volume I actually require.  I'm all about the robust construction - I am a sailor - but for the same reason, space is at a premium.  The size and weight of the Pelican are not going to work for me.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be quite appreciative.  Thanks!

Best,

Geoff

Do you have measurements?   It might help.   I thought wrote a reply about making one out of plywood or the insulated lunch and grocery bags out there,  Polar Bear and Coleman have various sizes and levels of quality.  but I don't see it posted.   I had a thought about a Singer Featherweight sewing machine case.  The old ones are actually sold at a premium, but a repro is possibly affordable.  But it may be too big for you. 

Geoff - 20+ years ago I got a couple of very light hardshell cases fitting both my standard size instruments from one of the chain stores. They were described as ladies make-up cases, and came in quite a few sizes.  Worth looking out for as a possible alternative?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, and thanks for the replies!  LateToTheGame: sounds like me myself, hah.  Apologies for the delay, folks - sailor life.

Yes, I do have measurements.  Let me attach my poorly-edited photos to give you the idea.  All dimensions are in millimeters.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!  I haven't made a decision yet, so this project is still open.

Regards,

Geoff

inkedduet_conch_04_l_00xhG.jpg

inkedduet_conch_05_l_MrAPh.jpg

inkedduet_conch_05_l_nh4GQ.jpg

inkedduet_conch_06_l_xYTHb.jpg