Laekage new instrument

Just received my new McNeela Phoenix. I notice some leakage. When I hold the concertina by one side the bellows drop completely in 10 seconds. The “complete drop” is about 10 cm ( 1 cm/sec) since the closed bellows ( 6 fold ) measures 3cm and dropped they are 13 cm. Is this ok? A facebook friend from the US who also bought a phoenix 2 months ago noticed just the same drop/leakage. I still can send the instrument back to McNeela. What is your opinion? I just don’t know what to do.

My castagnari melodeon bellows barely move but they are constructed in a different way with metal corners pressed on the bellows. I don’t know what is normal for a concertina.

A  new  concertina  bellows  should  not  leak.  The  drop   time on  my 15 year  old  Wakker  bellows  is  something close to  two minutes  and  that  bellows is  joined to    125 year old  ends  that still have  their original  pads  and  springs.

Better  you talk  to  McNeela  about  this.

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Haha 1

this type of test is not much good as a bellows test, as it tests all the pads and end gaskets as well. However your test does show a problem with the instrument. I agree with Geoff, talk to the manufacturer. One would have hoped that the concertina had been checked over before they sold it to you. If not it says a lot about the manufacturer's customer care attitude.

• Like 1

I don't suppose that it is easy to absolutely prevent some air leaking on a concertina; my own has mild air leak, and very slowly gradually will close up if I leave it; however I have had my one for 23 years, and serviced it myself when required.  In my case I  could easily seal it up more, I suppose, but it really doesn't affect much in duration of tone produced [Anglo system].  It depends upon how I hold the instrument as well; when sitting with it on my lap I hold it differently than standing, and this also means  bellow pressure is different too.

However, I would agree with previous people, as yours is new; get it sorted out first, and don't attempt a repair as it will possibly void a warranty that may be on it. 

• 11 months later...

Had got the same problem.
I do own a Wren2 and a Phoenix. The Wren2 is quite perfect (for me).
After some time with the Wren I thought of an upgrade and ordered the Phoenix.
When receiving my Phoenix I was totally disappointed. I can move the bellow in and out as if I had pressed the "air botton".
When playing tunes I always go out of air.

After some discussion with the support, I have sent it back to Ireland.
A few weeks later, it made its way back to me. "All ok" with your Phoenix was the result.

It still feels leaky. I am not able to play a slow air on it withput getting a lack of air.
My Wren2 is holding the air much better than the Phoenix ever will.

Hello

i have an air leakage problem with my McNeela concertina as well. I have a Wren. I can hear the air rushing out on the left hand end. I’ve checked the buttons and reeds, but I can’t find the cause of the leak. Does anyone have ideas of other causes, what I can check or look for? I’ve emailed McNeela several times for assistance but haven’t heard back yet. 
thanks 

I have had my much-used concertina [anglo 30 button [under Hohner name at the time] for 24 years today! And yes, it too can have air problems.  But after 24 years of nearly continuous use, and adjustments over time, I suppose you can expect something to happen now and again; I imagine you should not expect it to happen when it's just been dispatched as new? I would imagine that someone here will have a solution to the effect.