Pulsating? Reed/Glue Type

Theo, I'm prepared mentally for further cracks in the wax.  Though, having seen how simple it was to fix, I'm not as concerned.  However, knowing what the problem is, I'm almost certain it's due to the last trip out, where it was in my luggage though left too long without climate control in freezing temperatures.  I thought I'd given it ample time to adapt to room temperature (and maybe I did), but it's very possible it was the freezing ride it took on Quebec roads in January.. the roads are about as smooth as your average vaccine rollout.

Parker, I started (not that long ago) on a Stagi (thanks to a very kind member of the community, thank you again), and the difference is night and day.  You're actually better off learning on the Stagi, because if you can control your air on it then you'll find the Ceili always has more.  The buttons themselves require much less effort/pressure to push which did take some time to get used to.  Because it's so easy to play, you find yourself trying to catch up to it because of how responsive it is.  In that sense, it takes almost a finer motor skill than the Stagi which is so fun to smash the buttons on.  I think this will be the biggest difference, aside from the sound itself.  The Ceili is much brighter, and louder (at least mine is).  It also took some time for my ears to adapt to it, but when switching back to the Stagi, it's almost as if the sound is muffled in the latter.  The appearance, weight, and size are also significantly better in the Ceili's favor.  With that said, I love and play both for different reasons, but I'm very very happy to have found my Ceili (ahem, thanks again, you know who).  

Apologies for the typos, I've been using my phone to send these along.

Cheers

Edited by Nabio

Thats a sound that could easily be made by a valve but I have been fooled by this a couple of times with waxed-on reeds. They can be cracked in the wax and when you put pressure one way they work perfectly because the pressure holds the reed plate against the wood. The other way though the plate is pushed away from the wood however much the shape of the crack will allow and then they chatter. The ones I fixed I did by holding a hot solder iron close because I am not set up for waxing. 

Edited by Chris Ghent
Stupidity, consequently it may need editing again!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabio said:

Parker, I started (not that long ago) on a Stagi (thanks to a very kind member of the community, thank you again), and the difference is night and day.  You're actually better off learning on the Stagi, because if you can control your air on it then you'll find the Ceili always has more.  The buttons themselves require much less effort/pressure to push which did take some time to get used to.  Because it's so easy to play, you find yourself trying to catch up to it because of how responsive it is.  In that sense, it takes almost a finer motor skill than the Stagi which is so fun to smash the buttons on.  I think this will be the biggest difference, aside from the sound itself.  The Ceili is much brighter, and louder (at least mine is).  It also took some time for my ears to adapt to it, but when switching back to the Stagi, it's almost as if the sound is muffled in the latter.  The appearance, weight, and size are also significantly better in the Ceili's favor.  With that said, I love and play both for different reasons, but I'm very very happy to have found my Ceili (ahem, thanks again, you know who).  

Nabio, that's certainly a ringing endorsement of the Ceili.  It will probably be between one of those or a Clover when the time comes.  For now, I am really thankful to have the Stagi on loan to get me started.  I probably would have bought a Wren or similar and then be wanting to trade up.  Thanks for your comments.

• Like 1