Stagi M3 Opinions

Hi All

I haven't seen many people talk about the Stagi M3. I can get it new for £225 as my first concertina. Italian made with wooden ends make it seem like a more finished instrument than some on the others on the market.

https://pianocentre.com/product/stagi-m3-anglo-style-2-row-beginner-concertina-wood-finish/

Would this be much of a step up over a £50-£100 used Scholer/Rosetti/BM German instrument?

Has anyone ever played one of these? I know the Stagi seems to be a decent beginners make in general.

Thanks all

13 minutes ago, Darabin said:

Hi All

I haven't seen many people talk about the Stagi M3. I can get it new for £225 as my first concertina. Italian made with wooden ends make it seem like a more finished instrument than some on the others on the market.

https://pianocentre.com/product/stagi-m3-anglo-style-2-row-beginner-concertina-wood-finish/

Would this be much of a step up over a £50-£100 used Scholer/Rosetti/BM German instrument?

Has anyone ever played one of these? I know the Stagi seems to be a decent beginners make in general.

Thanks all

Hello, I haven't used stagi make knowingly myself, I say 'knowingly" because they may be linked to other Italian makers generally.. in 2011 I got spare buttons for my hohner make concertina; and they were sent to me in  Stagi brand bag! Although I wrote to Brunna musica in Italy. 

It looks ok to me in the linked preview you put on here. Only to say I had German made concertina as my first 2 row model, and that was great too! They put their name on it which is a good thing to me anyway, ( Stagi name screened onto it).. 

It's up to you if you buy or not, but I hope at least my own thoughts have helped?

Thanks for your reply Simon. If you had a £200 budget for a 20 or 30 key anglo, what would you do?

I am not finding much on the second hand market and have tried emailing a few suppliers about a Rochelle, but they don't have any

Edited by Darabin

Whenever I read an initial inquiry like this, I am reminded of my own first two instruments, which were old Stagis.  My guess is you can find (probably with an "ask" on this site) a "vintage" Stagi 30 button, with leather bellows and sweet tone, reasonable (though not lightning fast) action, and fair price.  I paid 95 and 125 USD for the first two, and still play the cheaper one, having passed on at cost to a friend the other one.  Even with inflation, my guess is that someone here has one in your price range to re-home. I have also owned a newer 20-button Stagi (although the one with the "undivided" bellows) and it was OK, but not as easy to play as the older ones.  In every case, I preferred the Stagis to the entry-level German products I have tried, though others have enjoyed them.  And, the "Rochelle-level" Elise I have has provided excellent service, and again, someone here may a Rochelle  for you.....

Have a blast!

Edited by David Colpitts
typo

I have heard from the folks at The Button Box that when they acquire a new Stagi instrument they find it necessary to “service” it before offering it for sale. Pads need adjusting, reeds need tuning, etc. If you’re buying a new one from a place that does not offer this kind of service you may find that you’ll wind up having to do it yourself.

Hello again; its great to see you are getting lots of help form others on this site  as well as myself.

You asked what i would do with a budget for concertina. Hard to say really; when i got my first [German made 20 key Anglo I also had budget at that time [1988].  I saw catalogue of them at music shop, and at that time with not that much idea about them, picked a Concertina kligethall German produced, and without knowing made a good choice; as it was nice to play and very reliable.  I used it for 11 years and it was still working when i upgraded to my 30 key more chromatic hohner brand [1999].  Curiosity on my part lead me at that time to open it up to see how it was made, and it was at that time well put together, with wood and metal reeds, and lovely thick bits on the lever parts [not putting it technically speaking!] The hohner  brand one needed, initially, more attention for a while [30 key one] but with that I persevered and its been excellent ever since, with only barest minimum attention needed on rare occasions, and certainly no more than any other make!

In other words you may have to trust your own instincts in choice; and if you get it right you will build up a knowledge of your own instruments character, as they're all different, how it sounds, the pressure to use, and so on.. sometime new instruments can seem stiff on first use, and you may have to be patient to use them to free them up [ mechanism] a bit .. b using it!

Best of luck..

Just a thought on subject of looking for concertinas; if you have one of those warehouse near you somewhere where they are full of house clearance stuff [ furniture, objects, from generally all over handed in].. You never know there may be concertina amongst all the clutter of boxes!  If so they are unlikely to know too much about them, the seller, so keep secret the fact you know more about concertina then they do, and you may be able to bargain a good low price! I did that once with some engraving tools at a warehouse store near me; owner had not much idea what he was selling; whereas I did, they were expensive tools in reality, so I  got low price [unbeknown to him]! Keep an eye out you never know!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 8:48 AM, David Barnert said:

when they acquire a new Stagi instrument they find it necessary to “service” it before offering it for sale.

My original Stagi Tenor EC got the presale attention thirty-five years ago from the old House of Musical Traditions in Tacoma Park, MD. It's never been serviced and still plays fine.