World Concertina Day concert

On 1/6/2022 at 4:50 AM, Colin Whyles said:

The World Concertina Day concert. Online on a device near you on 6 February 2022.

A few questions:

Will the concert be accesible to non-ICA members?

How long will it last?

What time of day (GMT) will it be broadcast?

Will it be available for viewing after the event, maybe on Youtube?

I ask because I have a few non-concertina playing friends that I might recommend watch this, but I have not been able to figure out the how and when of this concert.

16 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

A few questions:

How long will it last?

I ask because I have a few non-concertina playing friends that I might recommend watch this, but I have not been able to figure out the how and when of this concert.

Hello, Don,

It is a pre-recorded concert that is in production at the moment, so it will be made available on YouTube on 6 February. It will be open to all to see.

As it is being assembled in the UK, it will no doubt go live early in the UK. I haven't been told an exact time, but no reason why it shouldn't be available from the crack of dawn.

But it is looking great!

I think it is perhaps a shame there are virtually no young players represented here. All styles and systems but not all ages, by the looks of it.

I don't know about anywhere else but here in Ireland there are loads of very fine players in their teens and twenties, it would be nice to see those age groups represented in future iterations of this event. 

Edited by Peter Laban

10 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

I think it is perhaps a shame there are virtually no young players represented here. All stules and systems but not all ages, by the looks of it.

I don't know about anywhere else but here in Ireland there are loads of very fine players in their teens and twenties, it would be nice to see those age groups represented in future iterations of this event. 

Hello, Peter,

That is a fair comment, but Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne is certainly a younger player. I was not involved with the selection, as I do not have much knowledge of the active players. Others might be able to comment on that. However, I do believe that we do not have many younger players as members of the ICA, so perhaps we do not know of them. We would certainly welcome them.

How can we get them involved?

2 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

A few questions:

How long will it last?

It is (I believe) a 3-pronged event. In addition to the video being prepared in England and highlighted in this thread, there is also a video being prepared in eastern North America that Randy Stein has been keeping us informed about and something on the west coast that I’ve heard precious few details about. @Daniel Hersh, are you involved?

Edited to add: The Eastern North America video will certainly have a premier opening on youtube, with live chat, etc. Noon EST on February 6.

https://youtu.be/IUvJHRV5ZTA this is currently the trailer. It’s not clear whether the video premiere will also be at this url.

Edited by David Barnert

4 hours ago, Colin Whyles said:

That is a fair comment, but Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne is certainly a younger player. I was not involved with the selection, as I do not have much knowledge of the active players. Others might be able to comment on that.

FYI, we also have Caitlin nic Gabhann from Ireland who is in her early 30's, and I believe one of our South African players is fairly young.  

5 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

A few questions:

How long will it last?

See https://concertina.org/2022/01/06/world-concertina-day-concert/ .  It will be accessible to everyone.  It will be in two or three parts and will probably be between 90 minutes and two hours long in total.  It will be a recorded concert which will be available to view starting on February 6 and will remain available after that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

It is (I believe) a 3-pronged event. In addition to the video being prepared in England and highlighted in this thread, there is also a video being prepared in eastern North America that Randy Stein has been keeping us informed about and something on the west coast that I’ve heard precious few details about. @Daniel Hersh, are you involved?

Edited to add: The Eastern North America video will certainly have a premier opening on youtube, with live chat, etc. Noon EST on February 6.

https://youtu.be/IUvJHRV5ZTA this is currently the trailer. It’s not clear whether the video premiere will also be at this url.

There is one recorded concert that's being put together by the ICA itself: https://concertina.org/2022/01/06/world-concertina-day-concert . There are also a number of other World Concertina Day events being put on by local groups and individual players, including the Eastern North America video concert, Randy Stein's individual video concert and others.  We're in the process of pulling together info about them - see the "locally organized events" at https://concertina.org/world-concertina-day.

One minor comment: The date in the URL and shown under World Concertina Day International Concert is January 6, 2022. It looks, to me, to be a mis-print, or that I've already missed it. Big deal? Certainly not, but I noticed it. Someone else may and walk away thinking they'd missed it. Maybe? Or just me?

2 hours ago, JimR said:

One minor comment: The date in the URL and shown under World Concertina Day International Concert is January 6, 2022. It looks, to me, to be a mis-print, or that I've already missed it. Big deal? Certainly not, but I noticed it. Someone else may and walk away thinking they'd missed it. Maybe? Or just me?

Unfortunately, that is the way Wordpress works. It is showing the date the item was posted to the site. You haven’t missed it, the date of WCD is 6 February 2022. If I changed that date to the 6 February then the post would disappear until then. The posts are shown in reverse order of being posted.

[quote]FYI, we also have Caitlin nic Gabhann from Ireland who is in her early 30's, and I believe one of our South African players is fairly young.  [/quote]

I really don't want to pursue this any further and distract from this thread. But it is really a matter of perspective. When you are in your teens or twenties, someone in their thirties doesn't count as 'young' and is not someone you may identify with and, in extention, make the concertina seem like an instrument played by (other)  young people. 

It is probably a problem for the ICA to work out, to find young people who play, get them on board and perhaps present the instrumenty as an option for other young people to take up. As I said, the instrument is in that position in Ireland,  it's become extremely popular with young people who play traditional music.  And it would be nice, I think, if International Concertina Day would reflect that age profile.

Edited by Peter Laban

4 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

[quote]FYI, we also have Caitlin nic Gabhann from Ireland who is in her early 30's, and I believe one of our South African players is fairly young.  [/quote]

I really don't want to pursue this any further and distract from this thread. But it is really a matter of perspective. When you are in your teens or twenties, someone in their thirties doesn't count as 'young' and is not someone you may identify with and, in extention, make the concertina seem like an instrument played by (other)  young people. 

It is probably a problem for the ICA to work out, to find young people who play, get them on board and perhaps present the instrumenty as an option for other young people to take up. As I said, the instrument is in that position in Ireland, hundreds, if not thousadns of young people taking up the concertina and playing away very well.  And it would be nice, I think, if International Concertina Day would reflect that.

Hi, Peter,

Obviously, what we would really like is to have every concertina player in the world out and about and playing on that day. We are a very small team, and all we can do is put as much as we can out there and invite people around the world to join in. If it attracts people to join the ICA then all the better. We will know about them next time.

I think that for a first effort, we have done amazingly well to get such global support and representation. I don't think you will be disappointed with our concert, and there are those from the USA to look forward to as well. We also have a rather curious but fun item from Japan.

Squeeze on!

Colin

[quote]Obviously, what we would really like is to have every concertina player in the world out and about and playing on that day. [/quote]

Obviously, that was not what I was looking for. And I will leave it at that as this is probably a whole other discussion.

Edited by Peter Laban

8 hours ago, Peter Laban said:

[quote]Obviously, what we would really like is to have every concertina player in the world out and about and playing on that day. [/quote]

Obviously, that was not what I was looking for. And I will leave it at that as this is probably a whole other discussion.

Peter - I have sent you a c.net private message about the issues you raised.

Daniel