Posted (edited)

On 1/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, Don Taylor said:

A couple more suggestions for you to consider:

1. A dialog box that allows the user to enter a chord by name, or select it in some way which results in all of the notes of that chord being being highlighted on both the keyboard and the Anglo.

I finally got around to figuring out a way to do this! I think it has made the app just the slightest bit slower (it was already pretty slow 😒 ), but in my opinion the tradeoff was worth it. When you select a piano key, some chord options will appear below the piano keyboard. Clicking any of those will highlight the chord *in that octave* on both the piano and the anglo. You can still uncheck "match octave" to see all possible notes in the chord across the entire range of the Anglo keyboard. As a bonus, you can hear what the selected chord sounds like when you click it.

At the moment, I've included major, minor, dominant 7th, diminished, major 7th, and minor 7th. I can add more if there's appetite.

You'll probably need to do a hard refresh to see it work (ctrl + shift + r); I still haven't figured out what causes the weird caching issue.

chord-example.thumb.jpg.fe512269bddfd73d165939e3457b47b5.jpg

Update 2022-04-13

(Editing this post because I don't want to keep hogging the front page of the forum with minor updates)

I've added/fixed a few more things that hopefully make this a bit more useful:

• Fixed the caching issue! Hopefully no more hard-refreshing required.
  • Extended the allowed range of both keyboards to D2 - D7. Hopefully that covers pretty much all standard treble Anglos.
  • New hard-coded keyboard layouts:
    • 20-button C/G, G/D, D/A (these are useful for people who buy garage sale concertinas on a whim and then need to identify their tuning)
    • George Jones' "Improved Anglo"
    • Zulu Squashbox
  • For custom layouts, the piano keyboard now automatically adjusts its range to match the concertina keyboard
  • Selecting "push only" or "pull only" now completely removes the other bellows direction from view. This makes it easier to read and also reminds you that you aren't seeing all possible options.
  • Optionally remove note labels on either or both keyboards
  • Optionally re-spell accidentals to their enharmonic equivalents (for now this assumes equal temperament, sorry meantone folks!)
  • Optionally color-code octaves! I've seen a few color-coded diagrams elsewhere and personally find that colors really do a good job of conveying an overall sense of the layout:

anglopiano-2.7-improvements.thumb.jpg.e2f2ea02ed6e50fc8c8440e33316a53a.jpg

Update 2022-04-18

I've just added the ability to transpose a layout up or down within Anglo Piano's allowed range (D2 - D7). This has already saved me a lot of data entry, and should be useful to folks who need a layout chart for an instrument in a weird/niche key, or who just want to see their own customized C/G layout in G/D, etc. To use it, just click "edit layout" under the layout dropdown menu:

transpose.thumb.jpg.9fc7c8e3fe448370892950e126f3c30e.jpg

Edited by Luke Hillman
2022-04-13: added several new features. 2022-04-13: added transpose feature.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2