September Song by Kurt Weill

Thank you!

Kurt Weill is one of my all-time favourite composers, and for me, the Weill/Brecht partnership is

one of the 'killer' associations in 20th century music. I must dig out my 30-40 year old vinyl and

give it all a play...

Is the music out of copyright does anyone know? Are there dots/ABC available anywhere? A quick

search reveals nothing...

6 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Kurt Weill is one of my all-time favourite composers, and for me, the Weill/Brecht partnership is

one of the 'killer' associations in 20th century music.

In 2000 (Weill’s 100th birthday year) a nearby professional orchestra programmed a concert of Weill music, including the music to Threepenny Opera, which calls for a “small accordion.” For whatever reason, they couldn’t find a small accordionist, so they hired a large concertina player (me). I did it on my Bastari rather than my Wheatstone because, with its accordion reeds and less precise intonation, it had the funkier sound the score called for.

But “September Song” isn’t Weill/Brecht. The lyrics are by Maxwell Anderson.

6 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Is the music out of copyright does anyone know?

I heard on the news twice yesterday that material from 1926 came out of copyright with the turning of the year. “September Song” is from 1938, so I guess you’ll have to wait another 12 years.

Edited by David Barnert
typo

5 hours ago, David Barnert said:

[1] But “September Song” isn’t Weill/Brecht. The lyrics are by Maxwell Anderson.

[2] I heard on the news twice yesterday that material from 1926 came out of copyright with the turning of the year. “September Song” is from 1938, so I guess you’ll have to wait another 12 years.

[1] My mistake! Thank you for pointing it out. I had mis-remembered (and not checked) that 'September Song'

was from Mahagonny

[2] Ah, pity! I was wondering if the 'life + 70' rule might have kicked in here. I now see that idea wouldn't fly in any

case as Anderson died only in 1959...

Nice recording...