*Rarely Seen* top of the line Lachenal Tenor in F #59,117

rebi-la-volpe

I'm selling a rare top of the line Lachenal tenor in F key. Serial number 59,117. It's in the original leather box. 

35 silver-tipped buttons, six fold bellows 

In excellent condition 

Will post pictures of reed pans etc. soon. 

For sale here: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284574004893

What are the two dimensions across the flats?  It looks like a baritone to me, maybe even lower.  Any chance of taking an end off and including a photo of a reed pan?  Interesting.  Has it been tuned to A440 or is it still in old pitch?  I would love to see the reeds.

It has steel reeds in brass shoes.  Good.  looks all original with no replaced reed tongues and there was possibly some tuning done recently.

Could you give me the two dimensions (across the two different flats) please?  Or maybe a photo with a ruler across the action plate?

I have a 48B lachenal baritone that appears to be very similar with 190/199mm across the flats (2 measurements as it a slightly stretched instrument).  That's 7.5 / 7.84 in inches.

Has it been tuned to A=440 concert pitch?

Interesting instrument.  My gut feeling is still that it is some type of limited compass baritone.  You say it is an F instrument.  Does this mean that the normal C button position is an F (LH side, 2nd row over from thumb strap, bottom button)?

The action plates appear to be mahogony.  I wonder how this affects the tone?  Probably a bit more “snap” to the notes as compared to European sycamore or American rock maple.

Are the action plates flat?  Any serious warping?

Edited by 4to5to6
Added dimensions

On 12/21/2021 at 4:33 AM, 4to5to6 said:

What are the two dimensions across the flats?  It looks like a baritone to me, maybe even lower.  Any chance of taking an end off and including a photo of a reed pan?  Interesting.  Has it been tuned to A440 or is it still in old pitch?  I would love to see the reeds.

It’s in F, and I’ve posted pics of the reed pan. Lmk if there’s any other info you’d like to see.

15 hours ago, 4to5to6 said:

It has steel reeds in brass shoes.  Good.  looks all original with no replaced reed tongues and there was possibly some tuning done recently.

Could you give me the two dimensions (across the two different flats) please?  Or maybe a photo with a ruler across the action plate?

I have a 48B lachenal baritone that appears to be very similar with 190/199mm across the flats (2 measurements as it a slightly stretched instrument).  That's 7.5 / 7.84 in inches.

Has it been tuned to A=440 concert pitch?

Interesting instrument.  My gut feeling is still that it is some type of limited compass baritone.  You say it is an F instrument.  Does this mean that the normal C button position is an F (LH side, 2nd row over from thumb strap, bottom button)?

The action plates appear to be mahogony.  I wonder how this affects the tone?  Probably a bit more “snap” to the notes as compared to European sycamore or American rock maple.

Are the action plates flat?  Any serious warping?

Sorry - I didn’t see this until now, and I’m not sure I’ll be back in time to photo and answer these questions before the auction closes but I’ll send your questions to my mom who is there with the concertina now and see if she can answer asap.

I had two of those Lachenal F-tenors...  Now I have an Aeola-F-tenor... I'm not sure if evervbody is familiar with F-tenors? If fingered like a normal treble, it will sound a fifth down, which is a great tonal range for a concertina. They were usually made for the salvation army, as it was easier to play together with brass-intruments... Someone bought one of my F-tenors to play together with Northumbrian small-pipes, which sound in F...

1 hour ago, conzertino said:

I'm not sure if evervbody is familiar with F-tenors? If fingered like a normal treble, it will sound a fifth down, which is a great tonal range for a concertina.

To be clear: So Bb is in one of the central columns (where the F would be on a standard tenor) and B♮ is treated as an accidental (where you’d expect F#)?

I'm surprised that it didn't sell. 

Just switching those reeds will do for a start to test. If you play in keys with flats, you will have to change / retune a couple of reeds.

There have been a couple of threads on F-tenors. i.e.

PS: This applies, if you want to change a "normal" tenor-treble to F-tenor. Genuine F-tenors are made that way...

Edited by conzertino

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, this concertina didn't sell because i had to leave the country and so I took the listing down. I'm back in MA, and will sell it, but I can't simply re-post the deleted info on ebay, so I'm gathering info, digging up old photos, hoping to to avoid having to open it up again to photograph the reed pans. If anyone wants to make an offer (can be shipped to US locations or carried to Italy in May or London September feel free to direct message me.