Wheatstone Treble Aola serial 23661

Tam Paynter

I’m trying to get a date for a metal sided Wheatstone serial number 23661.

I’m still a newbie with the ledgers so I’m not sure I’m getting this right - any help would be appreciated. 

ledger C1054 ends with serial number 21353 dated to December 1891.

ledger SD01 picks up in 1910 with serial number 25000.

Can I assume that my concertina serial 23661 is dated to somewhere between 1891 and 1910?

and is there any way to get a specific date?

thank you. 

13 minutes ago, Tam Paynter said:

ledger C1054 ends with serial number 21353 dated to December 1891.

ledger SD01 picks up in 1910 with serial number 25000.

Can I assume that my concertina serial 23661 is dated to somewhere between 1891 and 1910?

Yes.

and is there any way to get a specific date?

No.

I'm afraid that ledger is missing, quite likely burned in Boosey & Hawkes' bonfire - along with Wheatstone's stock of sheet music etc. Fortunately Harry Minting saved what he could.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately  the  ledger that    covers  the  period  1892 to  1910  is  still  lost .  

Perhaps a reasonable  way  to  estimate  the  date  of  a Wheatstone  made during that period  might  be  to  assume  a rate  of  production  that is either based  on extrapolation  of  the  before  and after  pace  of  production  or  use  some  other  way  to  pin point  dates, as in receipts  etc.  

A  simple  way  is  to  assume  a  steady  rate of  production during that  period  which  would  suggest   they made 197  concertinas  per  year.  This   suggests  your  21353  could have  been  made (or  sold)  in  August  1902.

As  rates of production are rarely  steady  this   straight line method  cannot  be accurate  but  it gives  us  an idea.

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Thanks 1