WTB: Baritone Treble English Concertina

4to5to6

Baritone Treble English wanted to buy.

Please help.  I promise to love and play your unused baritone treble if you are willing to part with it.

I am searching for a model 14 56 button baritone treble English concertina. Low G to High G. I would also consider a mod 15 (62B Low G to high C) or a model 16 (64B Low F to high C).  Prefer wooden ends but would consider metal.

I am also very open to a 56 button extended downward baritone-bass (one octave below a tenor treble) but understand that these are quite rare.  

I would first prefer a top period 31xxx Wheatstone Aeola but beggars can’t be choosers so will consider any instrument in any restorable condition.  Prefer tuning to be A=440 but it can be in old high pitch and I will do the tuning and valves myself.

I am located in Western Canada but will gladly get the right instrument shipped to myself from anywhere in the World.

I am not a frequent buyer so any tips on where to look are welcome.  I would prefer to buy directly from the owner if possible versus dealers or auction houses, etc.  The history and pedigree of the instrument is always of great interest to me.

Edited by 4to5to6
Switched from Baritone to Baritone Treble

Probably not for you but I have with for sale a rosewood ende George Case baritone which is in excellent condition havig been given  a full overhaul by Steve Dickinson. It is brass reeded,and not the fastest of boxes but it is very good for song accompniment. the asking price i s 2250 pounds  sterling. The buyer pays for the courier .

Mike 

I'm going to dissolve my Aeola-collection within the nearer future. So there will be a gold-plated / Amboyna 64-key baritone, a 48-key metal-ended baritone, a metal-ended 64 key bass-baritone and a couple of baritone-trebles available. All Aeolas, all 30xxx to 32xxx, concert-pitch and top-condition - and all really expensive;-) 

First I want to document the instruments and put them online...

Thank you for the heads up Robert.  I guess I had better start buying Lotto tickets!  Probably too rich for my blood but put my name on the baritone-bass.  Would this be equivalent to a 56B tenor-treble but one octave lower?  This should cover most or all of my low frequency needs.  I am sure that the worse of what you have exceeds the best of my humble collection and would love them all but I have to live with and be thankful for what has come to me over the years.  I would love to get your entire collection but I’m trying to keep things as simple as possible and again be thankful for what I have and concentrate on being a musician first.  I do need a baritone or baritone-bass, that’s all for now. Thanks again.  Keep me posted.

Edited by 4to5to6

• 3 weeks later...

I am still searching for a 56 button baritone treble.  Nothing is coming up that I can afford.  I could also really use a bass concertina.

Does anyone have one of these in any condition for sale at an entry level price?  I can fix it up.  I’m getting really good at restoration work (out of necessity). I’ve done everything except for a complete bellows..  I just bought a cheap skiver so this too will happen soon.  I am going to first make some amboyna ends then hope to make my first complete instrument soon after this.  It’s going to happen.

How about this… I would be willing to trade restoration work on this or another instrument if you would let me use your baritone treble for a month or so to do some recording.  There must a lonely baritone treble out there somewhere that needs some love and to be played!

Any ideas?

Edited by 4to5to6
  • Like 2

I'll  not  be  playing my  56  Baritone Treble  for  a few months  now  due  to  the  need  for  an operation  on my  left  hand.  Two  months  to  wait  for  the  surgeon  and then another month  for  recovery, if  the  op  works.  But....    do  I  want  to  send  it  or  lend it  ?

These  beasts  are  RARE.  Perhaps  you could  make one  .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 4to5to6 said:

Hi Geoff,

I’ll send you a personal message.  Can you trust this total stranger?  I honestly don’t know if I would do it myself???  Hmm???  I’ll give you my number and we can chat.

I  don't  think I  would  do  it  either.  My  Baritone  treble  was made  right in the middle of  'THE'  golden period  at  Wheatstones.  Some  years ago  I  trawled  through  the  Ledgers  to  see how many  Baritone Trebles  were produced  between  1923 and  1933  and  the numbers  are small... I  cannot  recall  the  exact  figures  but  it would  not  take  long  to  count  those  made  between  1926 and 1928.

Mine  does not  look  smart  but  it  certainly  plays:  You can  hear it  on my  Soundcloud  page  ( under my  name)  or  directly  embedded  here on Cnet (  page  three  of  Tune of the month  for  March 2013 "The Fiery Clockface")...  I'll  check  that is  correct... hang on....

• 4to5to6 changed the title to WTB: Baritone Treble English Concertina