Replacing springs.. what is the secret?

seanc

P.B. has always been fine for me - they work well and I haven't had one break in service yet. The only time I've broken one while forming it is when I accidentally bent the hook in the wrong direction, then tried to correct it by bending it back 180º.

I looked into ordering a large coil direct from the manufacturer thinking they would give me a bulk discount, but they actually quoted me a surprisingly high price - the tiny packs from A J Reeves work out slightly cheaper per metre.

I bought a miniscule weight of the wire, or so I thought, and ended up with enough to circumnavigate the globe! I shall be leaving some to my daughters in my will. What they will do with it, I just don't know. I little does go a long way

Edited by d.elliott

I bought some half-hard brass wire of the appropriate thickness in a small quantity from a harpsichord parts supplier and it's served me well.  In retrospect, and in discussion with others, perhaps I should have ordered fully hard spring wire from the same source (which I think was an option) but the half-hard makes good springs with an appropriate stiffness/resistance (must be a better term than this!)

Alex West