How Do You Folks Play Without A Strap?!

Jeff Stallard

I know that Roy Clinging (plays English) uses a strap...I think it's a Wheatstone baritone that he has...or, he did, at the workshop I went to that was lead by him. That was in Portsmouth, NH, a few years ago. You can probably find him on the web, if you search...don't know for sure. (See my edit added below.)

I couldn't play my concertina back then -- had only had it a short while. But, I knew that I didn't want to use a neck strap.

I was escaping from my accordion by getting a concertina (but, sorry, Helen...and I DO still love my accordions and I've played them lately!!!). The prospect of having no straps was just too inviting.

But, that's got a bit to do with the fact that I get headaches/backaches, especially if I feel like there's something strapped around my neck or shoulders.

I haven't been able to keep up with my former commitment to yoga classes (and I'll never stand on my head, and don't care to...) but I did learn, in my time spent at them, that you can train/re-train your body to balance or hold things in new or various ways. It's amazing. For instance, there could be a case where a particular posture is done, then when a particular toe-flex or whatever is added, something somewhere else in the body corrects itself somehow. What I'm getting at, is -- YOU CAN DO IT!!! If you want to. If you want to play without using a strap, it can be done!

Edit added...

Hmm. Okay. Well, web-searching leads me tothis pic,

where Roy Clinging is NOT using a neck strap, it appears. So...now I question my memory. But, there were certainly players at the workshop I attended who did use straps, and I think that Roy did, too.

Edited by bellowbelle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A strap is fine if you only play one concertina.

This subject has been covered elsewhere, but after some years practise, the thumbstraps get moulded to your hand position.

This aids control and (should you want to try it), you should be able to lift your little finger off the plate if you occasionally need low notes, or want to persevere with more complicated chords.

A strap is fine if you only play one concertina.

Ah, the mental images that conjures up!

For multiple concertinas, a harmonica-style rack won't work, because concertinas are too big, and those not being used at the moment would be too far from the body and likely to cause the player to topple. But how about a harness to support posts rising from each shoulder, which in turn support a rotating ring, from which are suspended multiple concertinas like the little seats of a carnival ride?

I can't draw, but maybe Rich Morse's son could work up a visualization of the concept? :unsure:

(And you guys thought my puns were bad! :ph34r:)

For multiple concertinas, a harmonica-style rack won't work, because concertinas are too big, and those not being used at the moment would be too far from the body and likely to cause the player to topple.  But how about a harness to support posts rising from each shoulder, which in turn support a rotating ring, from which are suspended multiple concertinas like the little seats of a carnival ride?

I like it! Or how about one of those harnesses marching band drummers use, to which four or five small drums are attached? Just take those drums off, fab up from mounting plates, and bada-boom bada-bing...instant switching from your treble all the way down to your baritone. Man, talk about a chick magnet!!

For the record, I *am* able to play simpler songs without using the finger plates at all. I just don't like it.

Man, talk about a chick magnet!!

Concertinas as "Chick Magnets"....hmmm. I've never heard those words used in that context before! Maybe that song that goes;"Momma's got a squeezebox, Daddy never sleeps at night" is more literal than I previously assumed....

Thoughts, Ladies?

Sean Connery in a kilt or Jeff Stallard with a concertina? Defend your preferences in 50 words or less. You may begin.

Sean Connery in a kilt wins hands down...no offense to Jeff.

However, a concertina is a magnet, chick or other wise. Between sets there are folks often of the female variety that are very drawn to the little box and they offer to by a pint or dram. Perhaps it is to my advantage that Bluegrass is a bit slim in the concertina department, so questions are asked when I let's er' rip on a standard like "Rawhide".

Let the record state that I do own a kilt. Not a modern English kilt, but the original belted plaids. I saw 8 yards of wool tartan on Ebay for $30 and got it on a whim. It's surprisingly comfortable once you get it all figured out. I wear it to Ren. fests and maybe a Halloween party or something. I've actually used it as a blanket more than as a garment. :) Maybe I should get a picture of me in my kilt. With all other things being equal, I'm sure the dames would prefer me over that no-name loser....ya think?

Thoughts, Ladies?
Why Jim...I had no idea!! ;)

Took me a minute to understand what you meant there.

Your request that I responded to was a separate paragraph from your "Thoughts, Ladies?" request, so I assumed it was independent. As far as I know, I'm not a lady, nor even of the female variety. But I wouldn't consider it an insult to be classed with them, and I'm somewhat proud of having once substituted in a women's rapper team on a tour when one of their members became ill. :)

Then there was that incident with the church choir. B)

Let the record state that I do own a kilt.

You're scaring me a little here.....

I wear it to Ren. fests

Now you're really scaring me.....

Maybe I should get a picture of me in my kilt

Appearing soon on www.hotkiltboys.com!!!!

Seriously, I often use a neckstrap, but never a kilt. I'm pretty sure society is safer that way. I just ain't pretty!

Now you're scaring me!

Just what do you hold up with that neck strap?

Well, the larger the object, the greater cumulative force gravity exerts on it....

B)

Seriously, I was just trying to support my Homie, Jeff...he takes a lot of tweaking over his opinions, and when we agree, I like to make it known. When we don't agree, I keep quiet, because Jim and Stephen will already be teasing him anyway! I actually do use a neckstrap, because I am still turning pages in a tutorial as I practice. I've played guitar, bass clarinet, and saxophone, so it seems natural to me. Yo, Jeff...word to yo' mutha!