How is 'Lachenal' pronounced?

I was sitting musing in a hotel last night when I realised that I might not be saying Lachenal correctly.

I tend to say it 'Lack'nal'. Inititially I thought that perhaps it should be 'Lash-e-nal', but after a few beers realised that there could be many other ways, e.g. 'La-chenal', ' La-shenal', evn "lac-henal"  (as I say, this was after a few beers).

How do you pronounce it, and what is correct? How would Louis have said it?

Edited by Clive Thorne

3 hours ago, Clive Thorne said:

I tend to say it 'Lack'nal'. Inititially I thought that perhaps it should be 'Lash-e-nal', but after a few beers realised that there could be many other ways, e.g. 'La-chenal', ' La-shenal', evn "lac-henal"  (as I say, this was after a few beers).

How do you say pronounce it, and what is correct? How would Louise have said it?

Seeing that Louis Lachenal was French-speaking Swiss, I'd assume he would have pronounced it the French way - La-shenal, and certainly his great-grandson, Bill Lachenal, seemed to have had no problem with that when I met him in 2000.

Whilst many people seem to pronounce it Latchenal.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Okay, this is definitely thread drift, but a logical one. WheatSTONE or WheatSTUN? I've maybe only once (from a Brit) heard the "stun" pronunciation, but even in the U.S. we commonly say "LivingSTUN" (as the guy that Stanley "found"). In the U.S. I've only heard and used the "stone" for the concertina brand.

In physics it was definitely the WheatSTONE bridge (the same guy) but I've always gone with LIVINGstun for the explorer. As to the original question I've never had need to pronounce it out loud but in my head it has always been La-shenal.

The first syllable rhymes with bash (or  lash).

Note that French pronunciation is very even without a lot of stress on any syllable. Unlike English, any stress there is rarely accentuates the first syllable - much more usually the *last* one. So it's probably closer to Lash-en-al, or even Lash-en-AL.

• 1 month later...