Jones Piano Duet Concertina for sale

Peter Smith

I am thinning out my collection a bit (in common with some others on Concertina.net!) and am selling my Jones Piano Duet Concertina (No 27140). It’s a quite rare and interesting concertina, measuring a slightly larger 17cm across the flats. This example is in excellent original condition and seems to have been played very little.

I have done a little work on it by stabilising a few cracks in the ends and replacing the hand straps. Other than that, it is original, untouched and very clean. The steel reeds are clean and in tune with each other (though not at concert pitch). The bellows are original and airtight. It has its original case, which was very untidy on the outside, so I have refurbished the outside and added a handle.

The concertina plays well and I have attached some pictures. If you want to know more about my Jones Piano Duet Concertina or see some more pictures of the insides, please contact me. I can send further pictures to you by e-mail.

I am looking for £500 but am open to near offers. A contribution will be made to concertina.net, if it sells here.

Jones Piano - Left side.jpg

Jones Piano - Right side.jpg

Jones Piano - Bellows.jpg

35 key Jones Piano Concertina layout.xlsx

Edited by Peter Smith
Additional information

Just added an Excel file with the layout of the buttons. Its is just like a piano with a range of over 2.5 octaves. The apparent air buttons are duplicate notes. As its a duet, a button plays the same note either pushing or pulling the bellows. I should have added this information before.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Unfortunately, I didn't see your offer until you'd sold it! ☹️ Fascinating instrument!

One thing still interests me, though: you say the two thumb buttons are G and F, respectively - but which G and F? Low bass notes? High treble notes? Duplicate mid-range notes?

Cheers,

John

Thanks for your interest. I'm afraid the concertina is now in the USA.

The G & F are G4 & F4. as Jim Lucas suggested, maybe they are drone buttons. 

The concertina would have been a bit easier to play, if the left hand went up to C or D. It is still a lovely concertina.

Regards

Peter

Thanks for the info!

That means that the thumb buttons both duplicate notes in the "naturals" row on the left hand. I can imagine using the G to make the "thumb-under" movement like when playing scales on the piano - but to get the same effect on the RH side, the F would have to be  an F5.

Anyway, my interest in the piano keyboard stems from the fact that we recently passed our piano on to our daughter (the only pianist in the family), and now I miss having an instrument that I can read standard notation for. And I didn't want to take up the space vacated by the piano with a cheap-looking, plastic keyboard! In the end, I went and bought a 37-key Melodica, which has one major drawback: I can't sing while I'm playing it!

Cheers,

John

2 minutes ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Thanks for the info!

That means that the thumb buttons both duplicate notes in the "naturals" row on the left hand. I can imagine using the G to make the "thumb-under" movement like when playing scales on the piano - but to get the same effect on the RH side, the F would have to be  an F5.

Anyway, my interest in the piano keyboard stems from the fact that we recently passed our piano on to our daughter (the only pianist in the family), and now I miss having an instrument that I can read standard notation for. And I didn't want to take up the space vacated by the piano with a cheap-looking, plastic keyboard! In the end, I went and bought a 37-key Melodica, which has one major drawback: I can't sing while I'm playing it!

Cheers,

John

John E. Dallas doesn’t have a JEDcertina?

• Haha 1

I came across this on Ebay and wondered if it was of interest, as its in Germany. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chromatic-Concertina-D-R-G-M-/313875846580?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0

I have tried to contact the seller for more information but haven't had a response. 

Peter 

Peter,

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've been aware of these old, German "chromatic concertinas" for some time. However, the "piano" part is limited in range to just over an octave, and the LH side has a completely different layout, which makes the whole thing more accordion-like and less duet-concertina-style. Not exactly the piano substitute I'm looking for ...

Thanks anyway,

John

PS. How did you come by your Jones Piano Duet?

Edited by Anglo-Irishman
edited to add:

I used to own a German piano-type concertina (see pictures below). Unfortunately the ends were badly warped and beyond my skill to restore, so this went back to someone in Germany to refurbish.

I am still interested in piano-style concertina duets and would love to get a Rust (or Linton) concertina to see how that plays (see http://www.concertina.com/fingering/images/rust-W1597H390.gif).

20180704_165647.jpg

20180704_165712.jpg