Button Box TAM reeds

MollieS

Is anyone here familiar with the hand-finished (tipo a mano ) reeds offered as an option by the Button Box? I’ve been told they make low notes more responsive, e.g. for a baritone, and also add an “edge” to the tone. I’m wanting to know what actually is the difference in tone between the TAM reeds and the BB’s standard reeds.

Thanks.

I can't speak about the particular reeds used by The Button Box, but I can give you some general idea of the differences.  Italian made accordion reeds have a confusing array of names for the different grades, and there are differences in the manufacturing process, especially in the amount of hand work versus automated work.  In recent years there has been great innovation by the makers to enable higher quality products by investing in better machine tools and automated processes.  At the same time the makers are finding it more difficult to recruit people with the skills to produce the traditional hand made reeds.   That's the background.  The key differences between quality grades of reed are: the clearance between the reed tongue and the reed plate, the lengthwise profile of the reed tongue, and the type of steel used.  Smaller clearance means less "wasted" air and so a better response at low pressure, higher maximum sound level, and lower air consumption.  As a very general approximation the lengthwise profile of higher quality reeds is thinner than in lower quality reeds, which also improves responsiveness.  Both these also tend to give higher quality reeds a brighter sound with more high harmonics.  The type of steel in all but the cheapest reeds is very much the same.

I've summarised and simplified things in this description.  If you want more details you can look at some of the reed makers websites – Cagnoni, VA, Artigiana are the main ones.

• Like 2

Personally I've never been a fan of "tipo a mano" (TAM) accordion reeds. I prefer the more vintage sound of ordinary "factory", or "macchina" ones, or the full-bodied tone and dynamic range of genuine "a mano" (handmade). Though the latter can cause problems if you try to put them into an instrument that isn't designed for them, because of their length.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, might be posting a little late,,,

When I was ordering a Morse GD Anglo and thinking standard reeds, which I did like the sound of, Steve Freereeder (RIP) strongly recommended the TAM reeds for the low notes response rate.  I am happy that I did it.

The sound is of course great, but the response is remarkable in that the low notes play on very light air, even from dead still.

On the high notes, they sound very "real" concertina" like; like a vintage instrument (>>> biased beginner ear)

If still available, I would not hesitate.

3 hours ago, Devils' Dream said:

Steve Freereeder (RIP) strongly recommended the TAM reeds for the low notes response rate.  I am happy that I did it.

The sound is of course great, but the response is remarkable in that the low notes play on very light air, even from dead still.

Interesting.  I have a Morse Beaumont with standard reeds.  The low note reeds respond quickly enough but they are loud and I was wandering about resetting the reeds lower to try to quieten them, but have not done so for fear of them losing their responsiveness.