New tune book for (not only) English dance tunes: The Unexpected Polka

RAc

Hello,

I received my copy of "The Unexpected Polka & Other Tunes" a few days ago. You'll find the details here:

Home | The Unexpected Polka & Other Tunes

I do recommend the book for everyone who is interested in folk dance music, in particular English. I've known Chris for several years now, and he never fails to amaze me with his profound and deep knowledge of almost everything musical. He's a very experienced and seasoned (multi instrumentalist) musician, dancer and caller (and also a wonderful human being). He is always looking for the little twists and surprises and unusual turns in pieces that make the tunes and dances stand out and fun. Unfortunately I never met Alastair in person, but I don't have doubts that he's also a first class musician and a perfect match for Chris in this project. Obviously, decades of hardcore musicianships have found their way into this book.

The things that IMHO distinguishes this collection from other ones are first the selection which is very broad in every respect and second the arrangements. Have a listen at the audio section on the web page - there are unique and idiosyncratic second and sometimes third parts to every piece, even the very simple pieces, which makes them fun to listen to, let alone play.

Aside from the contents, the book is also very well crafted with great love for detail. Obviously a lot of heartblood went into it.

This book will very likely become one of the cornerstones of the English ceilidh and session group I am a part of (conveniently, a good share of our standard repertoire is already in it).

The usual disclaimer: No, I don't get paid or receive any other types of benefits, and I did write this recom up on my own and without any coercion. I just truly believe that the book deserves a broad audience.