FOR SALE: English 48 KEY BARITONE CONCERTINA by H.Crabb & Son

Connie M.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, d.elliott said:

Having owned one of these, and have serviced/ restored several more. I have one on the bench now. I can confirm that they are super instruments if set up correctly. The trick is all in the valves, especially the large reed valves on the plane side of the reed pan. the picture shows the plane side which has been partially valved with accordion style valves. This may, or may not affect tone and response.  You can also see the original valve springs on the traditional type of valves. All good to see, (except the accordion valves of course).

do you have the original serial number, if you pull out the reed pan you will see it stamped on the inside of the bellows frame just below the chamois leather gasket. If you can give us that then we can give you a reasonable guess at the date of manufacture.

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand why Connie M. was annoyed by the former owners name written in several places, but that enabled Mark Davies to identify a former owner and gives us some biography. I found that very valuable. I've longed to know something of the ownership of my vintage concertinas. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a data base of owners names along with brand, model, and serial number of their concertinas!

Gosh, I don't know how you got the impression that I was annoyed by the former owner's name being inside the instrument.

I thought it was really kind of cool.  It's nice to have a bit of history for such a precious instrument.  When I bought it I learned early on that it was there when I had it tuned.  I just had no idea who the person was.  And it's totally removable if someone does happen to be annoyed with it.  :  )

Just wanted to clarify.

I am very happy that the baritone will be going to a fine, accomplished musician.

Oh, and for further clarification, the description that I originally sent out to the group when I posted it to sell was

not actually written by me, but rather by the fine concertina maker who evaluated it for me.  That may be where you got 

the impression that "I" was upset.  I guess, as an impeccable instrument maker, he may have not liked seeing a name inside so I can understand his perspectiave.  :  )

59 minutes ago, Mike Franch said:

I can understand why Connie M. was annoyed by the former owners name written in several places

50 minutes ago, Connie M. said:

Gosh, I don't know how you got the impression that I was annoyed by the former owner's name being inside the instrument.

Undoubtedly it was the use of the word, “unfortunately,” which (you didn’t explain until later) was written by someone else.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:34 AM, Mark Davies said:

Harry Beard and his son Eddie were good friends of mine and Inplayed the English concertina with them in a Concertina quartet in the early 1970's.Harry Beard was fine player and teacher of the concertina and had played in a concertina band in his home town of St Helens in the 1920's/30's .He took early retirement and intended to concentrate on his music and teaching the concertina but tragically died of cancer.He loved to play classical and semi classical music and was able to play baritone parts from the dots.I will post some photographs if I can find them.

Hi Mark,

i am the new owner of this instrument. I you do find any pictures of Harry Beard, I would appreciate you forwarding them to me.  My emsil is dmsrcus123@gmail.com

Do you think Harry might have been the original owner?

Dave

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, d.elliott said:

Having owned one of these, and have serviced/ restored several more. I have one on the bench now. I can confirm that they are super instruments if set up correctly. The trick is all in the valves, especially the large reed valves on the plane side of the reed pan. the picture shows the plane side which has been partially valved with accordion style valves. This may, or may not affect tone and response.  You can also see the original valve springs on the traditional type of valves. All good to see, (except the accordion valves of course).

do you have the original serial number, if you pull out the reed pan you will see it stamped on the inside of the bellows frame just below the chamois leather gasket. If you can give us that then we can give you a reasonable guess at the date of manufacture.

Wim Walker will be doing an action and reed overhaul - I amtrusting that will get it very right (being Wim).