Aeola pin-hole on eBay.

This is the twin of my daughters 56k ext up pinhole Aeola. I had to replace the ends of hers as the ends were ebony and were turning to powder, as ebony can do. I would point out that one end no longer carries the 'Aeola' impression. and it looks a bit 'scabby'........... Given it's external condition, I wonder at the price. which takes us back to Alex's comment above.  

At best it's a seller who is not knowledgeable about concertinas.  At worst it's a scam, but it doesn't have any of the usual features of a scam, apart from the zero feedback.

The seller has relisted this item numerous times with the same Buy it Now price but gradually dropping the opening bid.

Edited by Theo

3 hours ago, d.elliott said:

I would point out that one end no longer carries the 'Aeola' impression.

That same end (right side) also no longer carries a thumb strap. A defect where one should be seems to have been puttied over with some sort of wood filler (what we would call “Plastic Wood” in the US).

17 hours ago, Robin Harrison said:

Right hand side has an inscription "Aola" ? Serial # 22663 date ?

I believe the serial number is from the period of missing ledgers, but I'd guess some time in the mid to late 1890s.

I'm not seeing the "inscription" (insufficient resolution?), but on my own pinhole, the name "Æola" is stamp-engraved into the leather of the bellows end.  (Ah, the advantages of a Danish keyboard.  I believe that that compression of "Ae" into "Æ" was sometimes used by English printers "in the old days".)

Edited by JimLucas
added "explanation"